- Struggles: The Making of 'Only the Young'
Filmmaker Elizabeth Mims shares advice for first-time directors as she takes POV behind the scenes of Only the Young.
- A Cloud Storage Collaboration Guide for Filmmakers
Cloud storage isn't just a way to back up backups of backups, it has great potential for use as a hub for your film production.
- MacArthur Foundation 2013 Documentary Open Call Approaching!
The MacArthur Foundation will be accepting proposals for documentary film production funding ONLINE for the first time. Submissions will be open from July 15 - 31, 2013. Submissions close on July 31, 2013 at 3 PM CDT.
- For Filmmakers: The Top 25 Docutweeters
Whether you are new to Twitter or a veteran, "who should I follow" is always a burning question. Check out our list of the 25 Docutweeters that you should be sure to follow!
- Five Takeaways from “The Future of Documentary Storytelling”
Abi Wright shares her notes from the recent discussion hosted by ONA-NYC and the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism in May.
- Judith Helfand on Robert West, “One of My Greatest Teachers and Beloved Comrades”
Robert West, the co-founder of Working Films, passed away on June 6, 2013. Judith Helfand, who started Working Films with West, shared this message with POV.
- The Making of Bear 71
National Film Board of Canada producer Loc Dao shares some of the process and numbers behind the 2012 interactive documentary Bear 71 with blogger and documentary consultant Jaya Mahajan.
- Lucy Winer (“Kings Park”) on Making a Career in Documentary Filmmaking
The filmmaker of Rate It X and Golden Threads is wiser after releasing many documentaries the "traditional way" and has turned to a new model for making a living as an independent filmmaker.
- POV Kicks Off Dumbo Filmmaker Meetups Next Week with IFP and Dumbo BID
POV will be kicking off the DUMBO Filmmaker Meetup series next Thursday, May 23 from 6:30-8 PM at the POV offices in DUMBO, Brooklyn.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- Recommended Reading: The “360 Equation”: The One Business Model Every Filmmaker Needs To Know
Marc Schiller of BOND360 explains his company's approach to independent distributing.
- Ten Questions for Loc Dao and Hugues Sweeney of the NFB
Executive producers from the National Film Board of Canada's interactive division give Murmur's Hal Seigel an in-depth look into the process behind recent projects A Journal of Insomnia and Bear 71.
- Questioning “Best Of” Lists
Heather McIntosh questions the purpose of "best of" lists, referencing the recently published "The 20 Essential Documentaries of the Century."
- Tribeca Storyscapes Is A Must-Experience Exhibition
Liz Nord previews the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival's Storyscapes exhibit, which highlights interactive storytelling April 18-21, 2013, in New York City.
- Standard Three-Camera Interview Setup
MediaStorm provides a comprehensive look at their three-camera setup for interviews, outlining their camera, audio, and light layouts.
- “Propaganda” Is the Wrong Word to Describe Kartemquin Films
Heather McIntosh weighs in on the denying of of Kartemquin's tax exemption because of the claims of its "making a selling of propaganda DVDs."
- Simplifying HTML5 Video Compression
HTML5 video export settings to maximize compatibility across the most popular browsers.
- Recommended Reading: Top 10 Twitter Tips for Filmmakers
In 2012, Thom Powers of Stranger Than Fiction gave his biggest tips for filmmakers on Twitter, covering the basics while also providing some great strategy pointers.