- Recommended Reading: The “360 Equation”: The One Business Model Every Filmmaker Needs To Know
Marc Schiller of BOND360 explains his company's approach to independent distributing.
- Ten Questions for Loc Dao and Hugues Sweeney of the NFB
Executive producers from the National Film Board of Canada's interactive division give Murmur's Hal Seigel an in-depth look into the process behind recent projects A Journal of Insomnia and Bear 71.
- Questioning “Best Of” Lists
Heather McIntosh questions the purpose of "best of" lists, referencing the recently published "The 20 Essential Documentaries of the Century."
- Tribeca Storyscapes Is A Must-Experience Exhibition
Liz Nord previews the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival's Storyscapes exhibit, which highlights interactive storytelling April 18-21, 2013, in New York City.
- Standard Three-Camera Interview Setup
MediaStorm provides a comprehensive look at their three-camera setup for interviews, outlining their camera, audio, and light layouts.
- “Propaganda” Is the Wrong Word to Describe Kartemquin Films
Heather McIntosh weighs in on the denying of of Kartemquin's tax exemption because of the claims of its "making a selling of propaganda DVDs."
- Simplifying HTML5 Video Compression
HTML5 video export settings to maximize compatibility across the most popular browsers.
- Recommended Reading: Top 10 Twitter Tips for Filmmakers
In 2012, Thom Powers of Stranger Than Fiction gave his biggest tips for filmmakers on Twitter, covering the basics while also providing some great strategy pointers.
- 5 Recommended Reads for Aspiring Editors
Editing isn’t just about whether you use FCP or Avid. An artful editor understands the theory and history that came before her. This list provides an introduction to editing philosophy and theory for all aspiring editors.
- “Tell Me Something” Features Advice From Fifty of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Doc Soup Man interviews Jessica Edwards, editor of "Tell me Something," an in-progress photography and creative advice book from fifty of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- Vimeo Is All About Filmmakers With Its New Self-Distribution Service
Vimeo announced its new self-distribution service on Tuesday, so how does it work? Is it easy to use?
- The Two Guccis of Tribeca 2013
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston contemplates conflicts of interest in festival funding after learning that the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival will be screening "The Director," a documentary with a subject who is also a sponsor.
- A Chat with the Zeega Team as Its First Collaborations with Public Radio Producers Go Online
The Zeega team shared with POV their philosophy to interactivity and how they've worked with producers from across the country.
- Flaherty NYC’s Spring 2013 Series Discovers Forgotten Memories
Curator Jeronimo Rodriguez tells POV about the documentaries in Flaherty NYC's Spring 2013 Series and how he chose films that encourage discovery of forgotten memories.
- POV Hackathon Selected for Fledgling Fund Grant
The Fledgling Fund recently announced new grantees and POV is thrilled to receive support for our ongoing series of Hackathons.
- True/False Film Fest Stands Out in Missouri
True/False celebrates its tenth year, beginning February 28. Tom Roston spoke with co-founder Paul Sturtz about heading up a festival that strikes its own path.
- Two Filmmakers Reinvent Their Approach for “Reinvention Stories,” a Web Documentary
"It's crazy for us to go from dedicated long-form documentarians... and here we are, supposed to make something in an environment where you can click off any time you want." - Julia Reichert
- Apply to POV Hackathon 3 by March 12!
POV Hackathon 3 will take place April 13-14, 2013, in New York City. If you're a filmmaker, developer or designer interested in cross-platform, web-based storytelling, apply to be part of it by March 12!