- Two Filmmakers Reinvent Their Approach for “Reinvention Stories,” a Web Documentary
"It's crazy for us to go from dedicated long-form documentarians... and here we are, supposed to make something in an environment where you can click off any time you want." - Julia Reichert
- Apply to POV Hackathon 3 by March 12!
POV Hackathon 3 will take place April 13-14, 2013, in New York City. If you're a filmmaker, developer or designer interested in cross-platform, web-based storytelling, apply to be part of it by March 12!
- Oprah's Documentary Club on OWN: What Happened?
In a recent article on Realscreen, Adam Benzine reported that the OWN Documentary Club is discontinuing its monthly screenings and shifting to a less specific schedule. The push behind getting the club started sounded promising. So what happened?
- Life Is But a Dream: Beyoncé's Red Carpet Documentary Premiere
Tom Roston's new found admiration for Beyoncé takes him to the premiere of her new HBO documentary, "Beyoncé: Life is But a Dream." But is the film any good?
- Pitching 101: When You're in the Room
Paul Pauwels offers some advice for when you are actually in front of a funder giving your documentary pitch.
- Pitching 101: The Ws That Build a Successful Pitch
Paul Pauwels, from the Belgian production company Congoo, shares 7 "W"s that help build a successful pitch.
- IFP Filmmaker Labs Seeks First-time Filmmakers
The IFP Independent Filmmaker Labs are now open for submissions. The Labs are open to all first-time documentary and narrative feature directors with films in post-production. Deadlines are March 8 (Documentary) and April 5 (Narrative).
- Pitching 101: Writing the Pitch, and Other Pitch Preparations
In this first part of a series on pitching, Paul Pauwels offers some overarching advice for preparing your pitch and what to put into writing.
- 2013 Robert Flaherty Film Seminar Fellowship Program – Deadline to Apply 3/1
The 59th Flaherty Seminar, "History is What's Happening," is accepting applications.
- BizVizz: The Making of a Documentary App
Filmmaker Brad Lichtenstein recounts his journey for creating BizVizz, a corporate accountability app inspired his documentary As Goes Janesville.
- Women of Transmedia
Liz Nord profiles eight of the trailblazing women she's learned from while making her own transmedia documentary.
- Dear Mandela: A South African Film Finds an American Audience
Dara Kell shares her experience self-distributing the documentary Dear Mandela. The film airs on Black Public Media's AfroPoP on Tuesday, January 29, 2013.
- CNN Films Jumps Into Documentary Fray with Spurlock, Rossi, Bourdain, and More
A look at the new CNN Films banner and some of the documentary and nonfiction programming it will offer.
- Te'o, Catfish, and Truth in Documentary Filmmaking
Using the latest story about Manti Te'o as a launching pad, Tom Roston discusses the broader notion of truth and veracity when it comes to documentary filmmaking.
- ‘Only the Young’ Boston Premiere with Filmmaker Jason Tippet
Only the Young (POV 2013) has its Boston premiere on Monday, January 28 at the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, MA. Filmmaker Jason Tippet will be in attendance for a post-screening Q&A.
- LEF Foundation Moving Image Fund Deadline This Friday 1/25
Calling New England Filmmakers! Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) for projects requesting production and post-production support from the LEF Foundation are due this Friday, January 25 by 5 PM EST.
- Kickstarter: Tips from Three Successful 2012 Doc Campaigns
If you're thinking about fundraising for your documentary on Kickstarter, here are some words of wisdom from three successful campaigns in 2012.
- Sundance 2013: R.J. Cutler's The World According to Dick Cheney
Tom Roston is surprised to learn The World According to Dick Cheney directed by R.J. Cutler - screening at Sundance 2013 - isn't quite the hatchet job he thought it would be.