- Recommended Reading: Top 10 Twitter Tips for Filmmakers
In 2012, Thom Powers of Stranger Than Fiction gave his biggest tips for filmmakers on Twitter, covering the basics while also providing some great strategy pointers.
- 5 Recommended Reads for Aspiring Editors
Editing isn’t just about whether you use FCP or Avid. An artful editor understands the theory and history that came before her. This list provides an introduction to editing philosophy and theory for all aspiring editors.
- “Tell Me Something” Features Advice From Fifty of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Doc Soup Man interviews Jessica Edwards, editor of "Tell me Something," an in-progress photography and creative advice book from fifty of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- Vimeo Is All About Filmmakers With Its New Self-Distribution Service
Vimeo announced its new self-distribution service on Tuesday, so how does it work? Is it easy to use?
- The Two Guccis of Tribeca 2013
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston contemplates conflicts of interest in festival funding after learning that the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival will be screening "The Director," a documentary with a subject who is also a sponsor.
- A Chat with the Zeega Team as Its First Collaborations with Public Radio Producers Go Online
The Zeega team shared with POV their philosophy to interactivity and how they've worked with producers from across the country.
- Flaherty NYC’s Spring 2013 Series Discovers Forgotten Memories
Curator Jeronimo Rodriguez tells POV about the documentaries in Flaherty NYC's Spring 2013 Series and how he chose films that encourage discovery of forgotten memories.
- POV Hackathon Selected for Fledgling Fund Grant
The Fledgling Fund recently announced new grantees and POV is thrilled to receive support for our ongoing series of Hackathons.
- True/False Film Fest Stands Out in Missouri
True/False celebrates its tenth year, beginning February 28. Tom Roston spoke with co-founder Paul Sturtz about heading up a festival that strikes its own path.
- Two Filmmakers Reinvent Their Approach for “Reinvention Stories,” a Web Documentary
"It's crazy for us to go from dedicated long-form documentarians... and here we are, supposed to make something in an environment where you can click off any time you want." - Julia Reichert
- Apply to POV Hackathon 3 by March 12!
POV Hackathon 3 will take place April 13-14, 2013, in New York City. If you're a filmmaker, developer or designer interested in cross-platform, web-based storytelling, apply to be part of it by March 12!
- Oprah's Documentary Club on OWN: What Happened?
In a recent article on Realscreen, Adam Benzine reported that the OWN Documentary Club is discontinuing its monthly screenings and shifting to a less specific schedule. The push behind getting the club started sounded promising. So what happened?
- Life Is But a Dream: Beyoncé's Red Carpet Documentary Premiere
Tom Roston's new found admiration for Beyoncé takes him to the premiere of her new HBO documentary, "Beyoncé: Life is But a Dream." But is the film any good?
- Pitching 101: When You're in the Room
Paul Pauwels offers some advice for when you are actually in front of a funder giving your documentary pitch.
- Pitching 101: The Ws That Build a Successful Pitch
Paul Pauwels, from the Belgian production company Congoo, shares 7 "W"s that help build a successful pitch.
- IFP Filmmaker Labs Seeks First-time Filmmakers
The IFP Independent Filmmaker Labs are now open for submissions. The Labs are open to all first-time documentary and narrative feature directors with films in post-production. Deadlines are March 8 (Documentary) and April 5 (Narrative).
- Pitching 101: Writing the Pitch, and Other Pitch Preparations
In this first part of a series on pitching, Paul Pauwels offers some overarching advice for preparing your pitch and what to put into writing.
- 2013 Robert Flaherty Film Seminar Fellowship Program – Deadline to Apply 3/1
The 59th Flaherty Seminar, "History is What's Happening," is accepting applications.