- What DIY Film Distributors Can Learn from the Launch of the Joffrey Documentary
Sheri Candler and Jon Reiss offered tips for getting a documentary to a niche group of viewers who might not be found through a traditional film distribution channel.
- On Pinterest and in Documentaries, Don't Judge a Killer By An Image
Doc Soup Man saw a graphic on Pinterest that paints Trayvon Martin's killer as a victim of media bias. What does it mean for the social networking site that the image was false?
- Introducing the Digital Bolex
The Digital Bolex, a 2K camera that shoots 24p and costs around $3,000, is set to be introduced later this year.
- POV Announces Documentary Lineup for Its 25th Season on PBS
This year on POV, you'll see remarkable individuals challenging authority and their own limitations to indict a dictator, keep investigative journalism alive, rebuild after Katrina and find strength in love.
- KONY 2012: What Made It Work?
What documentarians can learn from the viral video that been seen 100 million times online in the last 10 days.
- Video Slideshow: Presidential Documentaries Released in Election Years
View video from some of the most influential and controversial documentaries released in the midst of U.S. presidential campaigns.
- A New Hand Dealt Defines 'All In: The Poker Movie'
All In: The Poker Movie, which begins a theatrical run this month, is one of those documentaries that started one way and ended up a wholly different story.
- SXSW 2012: Caveh Zahedi Riles a Government (and an Audience) with 'The Sheik and I'
The criticism of Caveh Zahedi's new documentary is only growing, but the artist refuses to back down.
- Why Can't We Find Joseph Kony?
Paco de Onís, the producer of The Reckoning and Granito: How to Nail a Dictator raises questions about the inability to capture or stop Joseph Kony, the subject of the "viral" online video KONY 2012.
- KONY 2012: Analyzing the Viral Documentary Video
Documentary Site's Heather McIntosh deconstructs the advocacy video by Invisible Children that's been flooding your Facebook and Twitter feeds.
- Considering Upgrading? Is It Four Times Better?
The simple rule that can help documentary filmmakers decide whether that new gadget is worth it.
- The Best Documentaries of 2011 (Updated)
Nerd out to our infographic of the top documentaries of 2011, based on lists from critics, documentary festivals, industry organizations and online voting!
- The Cautious Critic
Slate's "What’s the Best Doc of the Last 5 Years?" poll and other polls like it "raise more questions than they answer," says Documentary Site's Heather McIntosh.
- Cell-Phone Documentaries: Films & Tools
Apple's iPhone 4 has sparked a new industry of smartphone filmmaking.
- Choose Your Own Documentary
Heather McIntosh discusses new storytelling styles in interactive documentaries like Bear 71 that hark back to the Choose Your Own Adventure series of books.
- POV & Firelight Media Summit: Sustaining a Career as a Public Media Maker
Firelight Media's Shoshone Johnson recaps a day of practical advice for documentary film producers, held at POV's office on Friday, February 17, 2012.
- POV & Firelight Media Summit: A Docmaker's Survival Guide from the Legendary Filmmakers of Blackside
Journalist and aspiring filmmaker Alva French reports from the opening panel of "Sustaining a Career as a Public Media Maker," a day-long summit held at POV.
- Celebrating World Happy Day with Roko Belic's 'Happy'
Did you know that February 11 was World Happy Day? That's because Roko Belic made it up for his documentary Happy.