- Video Slideshow: Presidential Documentaries Released in Election Years
View video from some of the most influential and controversial documentaries released in the midst of U.S. presidential campaigns.
- A New Hand Dealt Defines 'All In: The Poker Movie'
All In: The Poker Movie, which begins a theatrical run this month, is one of those documentaries that started one way and ended up a wholly different story.
- SXSW 2012: Caveh Zahedi Riles a Government (and an Audience) with 'The Sheik and I'
The criticism of Caveh Zahedi's new documentary is only growing, but the artist refuses to back down.
- Why Can't We Find Joseph Kony?
Paco de Onís, the producer of The Reckoning and Granito: How to Nail a Dictator raises questions about the inability to capture or stop Joseph Kony, the subject of the "viral" online video KONY 2012.
- KONY 2012: Analyzing the Viral Documentary Video
Documentary Site's Heather McIntosh deconstructs the advocacy video by Invisible Children that's been flooding your Facebook and Twitter feeds.
- Considering Upgrading? Is It Four Times Better?
The simple rule that can help documentary filmmakers decide whether that new gadget is worth it.
- The Best Documentaries of 2011 (Updated)
Nerd out to our infographic of the top documentaries of 2011, based on lists from critics, documentary festivals, industry organizations and online voting!
- The Cautious Critic
Slate's "What’s the Best Doc of the Last 5 Years?" poll and other polls like it "raise more questions than they answer," says Documentary Site's Heather McIntosh.
- Cell-Phone Documentaries: Films & Tools
Apple's iPhone 4 has sparked a new industry of smartphone filmmaking.
- Choose Your Own Documentary
Heather McIntosh discusses new storytelling styles in interactive documentaries like Bear 71 that hark back to the Choose Your Own Adventure series of books.
- POV & Firelight Media Summit: Sustaining a Career as a Public Media Maker
Firelight Media's Shoshone Johnson recaps a day of practical advice for documentary film producers, held at POV's office on Friday, February 17, 2012.
- POV & Firelight Media Summit: A Docmaker's Survival Guide from the Legendary Filmmakers of Blackside
Journalist and aspiring filmmaker Alva French reports from the opening panel of "Sustaining a Career as a Public Media Maker," a day-long summit held at POV.
- Celebrating World Happy Day with Roko Belic's 'Happy'
Did you know that February 11 was World Happy Day? That's because Roko Belic made it up for his documentary Happy.
- Nikon D800: Here Comes Nikon, I Think…
Nikon's D800, a $3,000 camera with a full-frame sensor puts the company known for its lenses squarely in the DSLR video game. Canon beware!
- Toward a Cultural Institution Dedicated to Documentary
Heather McIntosh provides a survey of organizations whose relationship to the documentary form, or dedication to the form have helped shape and promote the genre.
- The Sundance 2012 Documentary Winners
Any documentary filmmaker will tell you that getting a film into Sundance is a Herculean achievement in itself, but some also come away with an award. Check out a rundown of the 13 prizes given to documentaries at this year's festival.
- 'More Than A Month' Channels Moore, Spurlock and Woody Allen in Journey to End Black History Month
Edward J. Delaney talks to director Shukree Tilghman about his tongue-in-cheek cross-country campaign (and documentary) to end Black History Month.
- Frederick Wiseman Bares All… About the Nudity in 'Crazy Horse'
The documentary Crazy Horse is attracting attention for its depiction of nudity in a Parisian nightclub. It's a controversy director Frederick Wiseman has dealt with before, on his first film, the once-banned Titicut Follies.