- Dynamo, Distrify & Distribber: Documentarians Test New Tools for Direct Distribution Online
The filmmakers behind the documentaries Until the Light Takes Us and Wake Up share their experiences with DIY video-on-demand.
- How Prosumer Cameras, Apple and YouTube Have Changed Documentary Storytelling in the 10 Years Since 9/11
Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech looks at how far digital technology has come in the last 10 years, from the Naudet brothers' 9/11 to the crowdsourced #18DaysInEgypt.
- From Tragedy to 'Rebirth': Jim Whitaker's Post-9/11 Documentary, 10 Years in the Making
In the aftermath of 9/11, filmmaker Jim Whitaker followed five New Yorkers for years as they moved on from loss and physical injury. Whitaker talks to Adam Schartoff about Rebirth, which is in select theaters now and airs on Showtime on Sunday, September 11, 2011.
- 'Resurrect Dead' Director Jon Foy Tells the Sundance Story of his First Film
How does a confused first-time filmmaker get to Sundance and come back with its documentary directing prize? Adam Schartoff talks to Jon Foy about Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles, on VOD now and opening Friday, September 2, 2011, in New York City.
- The Feature-Length Fallacy
Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech explores the benefits of shaving a few minutes (or more) from a film's running time.
- Final Cut Pro X: Filmmakers Remain Skeptical
We asked you, our blog-reading filmmakers, for thoughts about Final Cut Pro X, the latest edition of Apple's popular editing software, and how you're making the decision to upgrade, switch or stick with what you've got.
- Next on POV: 'POV Short Cuts'
POV's 24th season on PBS continues with POV Short Cuts, a one-hour collection of documentary shorts by established and emerging filmmakers. Watch it on the PBS mobile app now, or on TV this Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 10 PM.
- Top Critics Weigh In on 'The Oath' – Watch It Tonight!
"An extraordinary subject... a fascinating documentary." Read reviews for Laura Poitras' film The Oath, airing tonight (Tuesday, August 16, 2011) on many PBS stations.
- I Have $5,000… What's the Ideal Documentary Kit?
Indie filmmakers offer tips for building a documentary kit on a budget in this guest post from DocumentaryTech's Edward J. Delaney.
- Next on POV: 'The Oath'
The Oath, directed by Laura Poitras, airs on PBS stations this Tuesday, August 16, 2011.
- Encore Broadcast of Critical Favorite 'Food, Inc.' Tonight on POV
The Oscar-nominated blockbuster Food, Inc. is back by popular demand! POV will present an encore broadcast of Robert Kenner’s groundbreaking documentary on many PBS stations tonight, Tuesday, August 9, 2011. Check your local listings. Featuring interviews with such experts as Eric Schlosser (“Fast Food Nation”), Michael Pollan (“The Omnivore’s Dilemma”) and forward-thinking social entrepreneurs such […]
- How Much Money Does It Really Take to Make a Documentary?
In the wake of America's credit rating downgrade and a day after a 600-plus-point drop in the Dow, Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech looks at how the documentary-film economy is changing rapidly.
- 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia
Senna, the first documentary from BAFTA award-winning fiction film director Asif Kapadia, uses archival footage exclusively to create an enthralling tribute to Brazilian Formula One racing star Ayrton Senna. Kapadia discusses the film and countering the "reckless reputation" of its star.
- Next on POV: 'Food, Inc.'
Food, Inc. reveals surprising and often shocking truths about what we eat and how it's produced. Join POV for an encore of the Oscar-nominated documentary on many PBS stations, Tuesday, August 9, 2011.
- Game On: Zach Wise on How Video Games Are Influencing Documentaries
Documentarians are taking cues from video games to expand their audience and tell new kinds of stories. Multimedia producer Zach Wise offers thoughts on "gamification" for independent filmmakers.
- Hot Press for 'Steam of Life'
"Joy rises up like steam from a bed of hot rocks." Read what critics have to say about Steam of Life, tonight's POV documentary that goes deep into the inner sanctum of Finnish life — the sauna.
- A Conversation with Steve James, Director of 'The Interrupters'
James discusses the film, his multi-award-winning Hoop Dreams and what he's learned from following film subjects over years.
- Next on POV: 'Steam of Life'
POV's 24th season continues with the U.S. broadcast premiere of Steam of Life. The film airs on PBS on Tuesday, August 2, 2011.