- The RSA Animate Series Straddles a Squiggly Line Between Web Video and Documentary
With 40 million views, the combo of RSA's big thinkers and Andrew Park's 'scribing' animation has made for a YouTube sensation, but can we call these videos documentaries?
- Holiday Crowd-Fundraising Tips from 7 Documentary Insiders
The holiday season is no holiday for documentary producers looking to raise funds, but some documentarians say it's as good a time as any.
- Doc Soup: Documentary Director Roll Call at 2012 Sundance Film Festival
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston weighs in on the balance of new to legendary directors in both the dramatic film and documentary selections at the Sundance Film Festival.
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Documentary Fans and Documentarians
Watch, Make, Learn! This year give the gift of documentaries. For once, we mean it literally!
- 'Indie Game: The Movie' Rides $100,000 in Kickstarter Donations to Sundance 2012 Premiere
With Sundance's 2012 lineup announced, guest blogger Edward J. Delaney highlights the unconventional approach of one of the selected docs and its filmmakers, Lisanne Pajot and James Swirsky.
- On the Road: From Jihlava to Prague
POV Coordinating Producer Andrew Catauro reports on events presented by the Institute of Documentary Film in Jihlava, Czech Republic.
- RED is Shipping Scarlet-X Digital Video Cameras (Three Years Too Late)
First announced in 2008, RED's new 4K camera has a lot of competition in the documentary gear marketplace.
- Pros Leave FCPX – Where Are They Heading?
The 'X' in Final Cut Pro was supposed to mean '10,' but it seems as if for a lot of professional editors, it's become the equivalent of 'NOT.'
- The United States of Documentaries (Map)
A state-by-state breakdown of the best, most representative and most unique documentaries from the 50 states and Washington, D.C.
- 'The Greater Good' Takes Child Vaccination Skepticism to Big Screen
Idaho-based filmmakers Kendall Nelson and Chris Pilaro tell guest blogger Adam Schartoff about their experiences challenging deep-rooted notions about vaccines and disease in their new documentary.
- 'Bombay Beach' Director Alma Har'el
Guest blogger Adam Schartoff talks with the director of Bombay Beach, a documentary that follows the inhabitants of a surreal community on the edge of California's Salton Sea who occasionally break into dance.
- Director Danfung Dennis on 'Hell and Back Again'
Danfung Dennis talks to blogger Adam Schartoff about how a documentary about combat in Afghanistan became a documentary about coming home from war, making the transition from photojournalist to filmmaker, and the impact of Tim Hetherington's death.
- 'Limelight' Director Billy Corben (Video)
The director of Cocaine Cowboys turns his focus on New York City club impresario Peter Gatien in his new documentary. In a video interview, Corben talks about finding and using dark humor in his films about serious subjects.
- Zachary Levy Shows Sensitive Side of 'Strongman'
The director of the self-distributed documentary (opening in New York City on Friday, September 23, 2011), talks about the film and his vérité influences.
- 2011 New York Film Festival Documentary Preview
Documentaries have been a staple of the New York Film Festival, the city's eclectic showcase of international auteurs, and 2011's edition (Sept. 30 to Oct. 16) is no exception.
- Dynamo, Distrify & Distribber: Documentarians Test New Tools for Direct Distribution Online
The filmmakers behind the documentaries Until the Light Takes Us and Wake Up share their experiences with DIY video-on-demand.
- How Prosumer Cameras, Apple and YouTube Have Changed Documentary Storytelling in the 10 Years Since 9/11
Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech looks at how far digital technology has come in the last 10 years, from the Naudet brothers' 9/11 to the crowdsourced #18DaysInEgypt.
- From Tragedy to 'Rebirth': Jim Whitaker's Post-9/11 Documentary, 10 Years in the Making
In the aftermath of 9/11, filmmaker Jim Whitaker followed five New Yorkers for years as they moved on from loss and physical injury. Whitaker talks to Adam Schartoff about Rebirth, which is in select theaters now and airs on Showtime on Sunday, September 11, 2011.