- How to Hack a Hackathon
POV Hackathon 8 team Hello Fat Larry share their guide to a hackathon. The team won the Participant's Choice Award at POV Hackathon 8.
- PBS National Listening Tour News Round-Up
After the final stop of the PBS National Listening Tour, POV offers this round-up of organizations and individuals lending their voice to the conversation.
- Enter the Edit: A Conversation With Editor Jonathan Oppenheim
Colin Nusbaum speaks with his Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow mentor, esteemed editor Jonathan Oppenheim, about his editing process.
- PBS Listening Tour Surveys Offer Road Map
It wasn’t possible for everyone’s voice to be heard at the New York Listening Tour stop on February 23rd. To take advantage of this moment to hear from our community, we conducted two surveys around the New York Listening Tour stop.
- Upcoming Event: The Documentary Filmmaker as Journalist
What are the challenges of working in both the documentary and journalism spaces? Find out at the International Documentary Association’s upcoming Doc U panel discussion.
- Announcing POV's 2015 Season on PBS
Get a sneak preview of POV's 2015 lineup and help us spread the news about the films you're looking forward to seeing most!
- Linklater, Like Flaherty Before Him
Robert Flaherty and Richard Linklater are on opposite sides of the same film can. Flaherty, whose 131st birthday would have been this Monday, February 16th, is, of course, one of the pioneers of documentary film. We’ll get to Linklater, the director from Texas who made last year’s Oscar-nominated Boyhood, in a moment, but it’s Flaherty […]
- Sundance 2015: Doc Buzz, Acquistions and More
Sundance 2015 is underway! Here's the word on how documentaries are fairing this year in Park City.
- The Making of Priya's Shakti
Jaya Mahajan discusses the making of Priya's Shakti, a multimedia project combating attitudes towards sexual assault, with producer Ram Devineni.
- Meet the Programmers Behind the Flaherty NYC Winter/Spring 2015 Series
This season's Flaherty NYC's series begins in January with the theme "That Obscure Object of Desire." Programmers Pacho Velez and Sierra Pettengill discuss choosing films that explore "the mysterious power of objects."
- Regarding Independent Film on THIRTEEN and WLIW21
A joint statement WNET, PBS, ITVS, Independent Lens and POV regarding independent film on THIRTEEN and WLIW21.
- The Year in Human Rights Video
Madeleine Bair of WITNESS rounds up some of the year's most important moments in human rights footage.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2014
Without any throat clearing about how this was yet another great year for docs -- which it was, by the way -- I present my favorite nonfiction films of 2014
- The Best Documentaries of 2014
What's the best documentary of 2014? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- Passing the Baton: A Conversation with Engagement Strategist Lina Srivastava
This week, the POV Engagement team caught up with the strategist behind the Who Is Dayani Cristal? campaign. Lina Srivastava gives us an inside look on her team's goals for campaign and tips for other impact producers on "passing the baton".
- Dispatches from IDFA: All the Young Dudes
Kel O'Neill discusses the lack of diversity at the IDFA DocLab conference, and the effect of its absence.
- Dispatches from IDFA: The Third Entity
"My green button-down has been replaced by a grey pullover. Also, I am a woman." Kel O'Neill experiences life as the opposite gender in IDFA DocLab's gender-bending experiment The Machine To Be Another.
- Dispatches from IDFA: Research and Development
IDFA DocLab is a paradise for innovative storytelling, but who should foot the bill?