- Dispatches from IDFA: A Conversation with DocLab Architect Caspar Sonnen
Kel O'Neill (of Jongsma + O'Neill) sits down with IDFA DocLab creator Caspar Sonnen to discuss DocLab, digital storytelling, and the 'medium' of interactive documentaries — if it can be defined as a 'medium' at all.
- Life on the Streets of Palestine Captured in “Points Of View”
An interactive web documentary aims to help Palestinians present the anger, pain, joy and hope of their daily lives to both Israelis and the international public.
- Enter the Edit: “Tough Love” with Editors Colin Nusbaum and Mary Manhardt
Editors Colin Nusbaum and Mary Manhardt break down the edit of Stephanie Wang-Breal's documentary Tough Love, premiering November 15, 2014 in New York City at DOC NYC.
- Old Film Made New: “Living Los Sures”
UnionDocs breathes new life into the 1980s urban film Los Sures with web-based multimedia. Two new chapters premiered at New York Film Festival Convergence.
- Three Tips for Diverse Filmmakers Seeking Documentary Funding
Are you an emerging filmmaker of color? Funders are looking for you! Here are a few tips to help them find you.
- After Battling Chinese Authorities and a Tight Budget, a First-Time Filmmaker Emerges
"I made the dive from being on the top of my game—radio—back to the bottom as a newbie, self-trained filmmaker." - Jocelyn Ford, Nowhere To Call Home: A Tibetan in Beijing
- Forever, Directed by Heddy Honigmann
Inside the gates of the Parisian graveyard, breezes ruffle the leaves of chestnut trees, pigeons scatter in a fluttering of wings and sun-dappled stone paths wind from plot to plot.
- Ten Questions for Alexandre Brachet, Margaux Missika and Gregory Trowbridge of Upian
Established in 1998, Upian is a design studio and interactive production company known for its award winning projects including Alma: A Tale of Violence, Prison Valley, and Generation Quoi?
- 11 Sites and Apps for Watching Documentaries Free Online
Love watching documentaries online? We think POV's free streams of new and classic docs is great, but there are even more places you'll find great selections right now!
- Getting Real: A New Documentary Conference Aiming for Industry Action, Not Just Conversation
International Documentary Association director Michael Lumpkin gives POV a preview of its new documentary conference, Getting Real, and his hopes for changing the documentary industry. Sept. 30 - Oct. 2, 2014 in Los Angeles.
- How Fair Use Brought Dream Deceivers to Home Video
Filmmaker David Van Taylor employed fair use of his 1992 POV film Dream Deceivers. Now, a new generation will be able to see the famous doc about the trial that tried Judas Priest for putting subliminal messages in their music.
- Why the NFB and Arte Are Crafting 'Interactive Haiku' – Register Your Idea by August 5, 2014
The National Film Board of Canada's Hugues Sweeney talks to POV about Interactive Haiku, a new co-production with Arte that will see the creation of 12 new pieces of short — very, very short — interactive art.
- POV Films Receive 6 Emmy Nominations!
POV has received 6 nominations for the 35th Annual News & Documentary Emmy Awards. PBS earned three of the five nominations for Best Documentary and 43 nominations in total. more than any other broadcaster.
- Brian Chirls Selected as POV Digital Technology Fellow
The independent film innovator will be embedded in POV for a one-year fellowship funded by Knight Foundation, developing digital tools for documentary filmmakers, journalists and other nonfiction media-makers.
- Peter Young on “The Last Ocean” and the Politics of Antarctica's Ross Sea
"We have no idea how valuable those places will be in a couple of generations. Right now, it takes a lot of foresight. Empty pockets and a bank deficit are not very good for foresight. It's the same as every problem we face -- it's short-term gain as opposed to the long-term benefits."
- The Inaugural New York WILD Film Festival Showcases Documentaries About Adventure and Exploration
In January, the Explorer's Club opened its wrought-iron doors to crowds of freezing New Yorkers, who trekked through snowy sidewalks and single-digit temperatures to attend the opening night of the New York WILD Film Festival.
- The Nipple Artist: Watch the Documentary and Go Behind the Scenes
How do breast cancer survivors recapture their sense of self after surgeries, chemotherapy and reconstruction? "The Nipple Artist" by The New York Times tells the story of one woman's journey for closure... and nipples.
- Filmmaker Joanna Rudnick on Life with the “Breast Cancer Gene” and Human Gene Patenting
In the Family filmmaker Joanna Rudnick gives POV an update on her health and personal life.