- Forever, Directed by Heddy Honigmann
Inside the gates of the Parisian graveyard, breezes ruffle the leaves of chestnut trees, pigeons scatter in a fluttering of wings and sun-dappled stone paths wind from plot to plot.
- Ten Questions for Alexandre Brachet, Margaux Missika and Gregory Trowbridge of Upian
Established in 1998, Upian is a design studio and interactive production company known for its award winning projects including Alma: A Tale of Violence, Prison Valley, and Generation Quoi?
- 11 Sites and Apps for Watching Documentaries Free Online
Love watching documentaries online? We think POV's free streams of new and classic docs is great, but there are even more places you'll find great selections right now!
- Getting Real: A New Documentary Conference Aiming for Industry Action, Not Just Conversation
International Documentary Association director Michael Lumpkin gives POV a preview of its new documentary conference, Getting Real, and his hopes for changing the documentary industry. Sept. 30 - Oct. 2, 2014 in Los Angeles.
- How Fair Use Brought 'Dream Deceivers' to Home Video
Filmmaker David Van Taylor employed fair use of his 1992 POV film Dream Deceivers. Now, a new generation will be able to see the famous doc about the trial that tried Judas Priest for putting subliminal messages in their music.
- Why the NFB and Arte Are Crafting 'Interactive Haiku' – Register Your Idea by August 5, 2014
The National Film Board of Canada's Hugues Sweeney talks to POV about Interactive Haiku, a new co-production with Arte that will see the creation of 12 new pieces of short — very, very short — interactive art.
- POV Films Receive 6 Emmy Nominations!
POV has received 6 nominations for the 35th Annual News & Documentary Emmy Awards. PBS earned three of the five nominations for Best Documentary and 43 nominations in total. more than any other broadcaster.
- Brian Chirls Selected as POV Digital Technology Fellow
The independent film innovator will be embedded in POV for a one-year fellowship funded by Knight Foundation, developing digital tools for documentary filmmakers, journalists and other nonfiction media-makers.
- Peter Young on “The Last Ocean” and the Politics of Antarctica's Ross Sea
"We have no idea how valuable those places will be in a couple of generations. Right now, it takes a lot of foresight. Empty pockets and a bank deficit are not very good for foresight. It's the same as every problem we face -- it's short-term gain as opposed to the long-term benefits."
- The Inaugural New York WILD Film Festival Showcases Documentaries About Adventure and Exploration
In January, the Explorer's Club opened its wrought-iron doors to crowds of freezing New Yorkers, who trekked through snowy sidewalks and single-digit temperatures to attend the opening night of the New York WILD Film Festival.
- The Nipple Artist: Watch the Documentary and Go Behind the Scenes
How do breast cancer survivors recapture their sense of self after surgeries, chemotherapy and reconstruction? "The Nipple Artist" by The New York Times tells the story of one woman's journey for closure... and nipples.
- Filmmaker Joanna Rudnick on Life with the “Breast Cancer Gene” and Human Gene Patenting
In the Family filmmaker Joanna Rudnick gives POV an update on her health and personal life.
- How To Survive As An Assistant Editor
"Staying organized as an assistant editor is probably more like keeping a clean and organized room, apartment or house than anyone realizes." Editor Colin Nusbaum shares everything you need to know to get started as a film editor.
- How the POV Hackathon Prototype “Aerial Viewing” Was Made
"We wanted to make the technology fade into the background, not be obvious -- truly content over chrome. We also wanted to experiment with breaking the rules of traditional video playback that is seen commonly on the web and in apps."
- 10 Secrets for Making the Most of Your Film's Broadcast Premiere
Picture Motion's Alexandra Pearson and Megan Ryan take us behind the scenes of the social impact campaigns of five remarkable films that aired on CNN, HBO, OWN and POV.
- International Students at The New School Screen and Discuss 'Last Train Home'
In celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, POV intern Tomas Uribe and the International Student Society and Advisory board screened Last Train Home at The New School. Tomas reports back on the screening and discussion on migration and human rights.
- And the POV Hackathon 5 Participants' Choice Winner Is…
Congrats to Noriginals, POV Hackathon 5 Participants' Choice Award Winners!
- Parenting from Both Sides of the Camera
On a motherless, motherful Mother's Day, filmmaker Judith Helfand reflects on what she has learned on both sides of the camera from her mother Florence (of Healthy Baby Girl fame), who died this past September.