- The Best Documentaries of 2014
What's the best documentary of 2014? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- Passing the Baton: A Conversation with Engagement Strategist Lina Srivastava
Who Is Dayani Cristal campaign strategist Lina Srivastava gives us an inside look on her team's goals for campaign and tips for other impact producers on "passing the baton."
- Dispatches from IDFA: All the Young Dudes
Kel O'Neill discusses the lack of diversity at the IDFA DocLab conference, and the effect of its absence.
- Dispatches from IDFA: The Third Entity
"My green button-down has been replaced by a grey pullover. Also, I am a woman." Kel O'Neill experiences life as the opposite gender in IDFA DocLab's gender-bending experiment The Machine To Be Another.
- Dispatches from IDFA: Research and Development
IDFA DocLab is a paradise for innovative storytelling, but who should foot the bill?
- Congrats to the BRITDOC Impact Award Winners
POV gives a huge round of applause to this year's BRITDOC Impact Award winners! The BRITDOC Impact Award celebrates documentary films that have made the greatest impact on society.
- Dispatches from IDFA: A Conversation with DocLab Architect Caspar Sonnen
Kel O'Neill (of Jongsma + O'Neill) sits down with IDFA DocLab creator Caspar Sonnen to discuss DocLab, digital storytelling, and the 'medium' of interactive documentaries — if it can be defined as a 'medium' at all.
- Life on the Streets of Palestine Captured in 'Points Of View'
An interactive web documentary aims to help Palestinians present the anger, pain, joy and hope of their daily lives to both Israelis and the international public.
- Enter the Edit: 'Tough Love' with Editors Colin Nusbaum and Mary Manhardt
Editors Colin Nusbaum and Mary Manhardt break down the edit of Stephanie Wang-Breal's documentary Tough Love, premiering November 15, 2014 in New York City at DOC NYC.
- Old Film Made New: 'Living Los Sures'
UnionDocs breathes new life into the 1980s urban film Los Sures with web-based multimedia. Two new chapters premiered at New York Film Festival Convergence.
- Three Tips for Diverse Filmmakers Seeking Documentary Funding
Are you an emerging filmmaker of color? Funders are looking for you! Here are a few tips to help them find you.
- After Battling Chinese Authorities and a Tight Budget, a First-Time Filmmaker Emerges
"I made the dive from being on the top of my game—radio—back to the bottom as a newbie, self-trained filmmaker." - Jocelyn Ford, Nowhere To Call Home: A Tibetan in Beijing
- Forever, Directed by Heddy Honigmann
Inside the gates of the Parisian graveyard, breezes ruffle the leaves of chestnut trees, pigeons scatter in a fluttering of wings and sun-dappled stone paths wind from plot to plot.
- Ten Questions for Alexandre Brachet, Margaux Missika and Gregory Trowbridge of Upian
Established in 1998, Upian is a design studio and interactive production company known for its award winning projects including Alma: A Tale of Violence, Prison Valley, and Generation Quoi?
- 11 Sites and Apps for Watching Documentaries Free Online
Love watching documentaries online? We think POV's free streams of new and classic docs is great, but there are even more places you'll find great selections right now!
- Getting Real: A New Documentary Conference Aiming for Industry Action, Not Just Conversation
International Documentary Association director Michael Lumpkin gives POV a preview of its new documentary conference, Getting Real, and his hopes for changing the documentary industry. Sept. 30 - Oct. 2, 2014 in Los Angeles.
- How Fair Use Brought 'Dream Deceivers' to Home Video
Filmmaker David Van Taylor employed fair use of his 1992 POV film Dream Deceivers. Now, a new generation will be able to see the famous doc about the trial that tried Judas Priest for putting subliminal messages in their music.
- Why the NFB and Arte Are Crafting 'Interactive Haiku' – Register Your Idea by August 5, 2014
The National Film Board of Canada's Hugues Sweeney talks to POV about Interactive Haiku, a new co-production with Arte that will see the creation of 12 new pieces of short — very, very short — interactive art.