- Hot Docs: Discovering 'Pine Ridge'
Allow Doc Soup Man Tom Roston to introduce you to Pine Ridge, a documentary that made an impression at Hot Docs in Toronto by first-time Swedish filmmaker Anna Eborn.
- 5 Questions for Jonathan Minard and James George, Creators of the Tribeca Storyscapes Award-Winning 'Clouds'
Clouds, originally conceived as a traditional documentary, evolved into an award-winning interactive media project where almost every aspect is created by or experienced through computer code.
- 5 Things Documentary Filmmakers Can Learn from Game Designers
Engagement, interaction, participation, messaging and the power of play: Five takeaways for filmmakers from Games for Change at Tribeca FIlm Festival's Innovation Week.
- Use of Force's Nonny de la Peña on Pushing Journalism into the Interactive Realm
Multi-platform storytelling is giving journalists a new spectrum of creativity within which to compose and share their stories. But how does this leeway affect objectivity?
- Can Interactive Films Hit the Emotional Mark? A First Look at the Projects at Tribeca Storyscapes 2014
I am always appreciative of documentaries that push the boundaries of the form, but experiencing them leaves me wondering too often: Can interactive documentaries make us feel something in the same way that traditional cinema can?
- Apply for Britdoc's PUMA Impact Award
Our friends at Britdoc are bringing back The PUMA Impact Award for the 4th year. Submit your film before April 28th to this annual prize honoring the best in documentary filmmaking for social change.
- POV Reimagines the Documentary – Again
Cross-posted from Knight Blog, the blog of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Since its earliest days, POV has been an exercise in bridging independent voices and the public by offering new tools and technology for storytelling and engagement.
- Entering the Edit With Karen Schmeer Fellow Colin Nusbaum
Get started with POV's new series delving into the craft of documentary editing with 2014 Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow Colin Nusbaum.
- #docchat: A Documentary Equipment Workshop with Caleb Pike & Richard Koci Hernandez on Google+ (April 15, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary filmmaking equipment on Google+! Tuesday, April 15, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.
- #docchat: How I Made My First Documentary – Join POV's Twitter Chat on April 8
Join POV on Twitter for a #docchat with veteran documentary filmmakers and get their advice for first-time filmmakers on Tuesday, April 8, 1-2 PM ET (10-11 AM PT).
- “Wild Things” Breathes New Life Into the Nature Show
Actor-turned-naturalist Dominic Monaghan tells Doc Soup Man Tom Roston why his BBC America show shouldn't be confused with reality TV.
- #docchat: Balancing Your Day Job and Your Documentary – Join POV's Twitter Chat on April 1
Join POV on Twitter for a #docchat about balancing your day job and your documentary on Tuesday, April 1 from 7-8 PM ET (4-5 PM PT).
- Festival Madness
Sundance is behind us, SXSW is on now, Tribeca and Full Frame are coming up soon. Doc Soup Man has his picks from the past and future festivals that will set the documentary viewing agenda for the rest of the year.
- The Men of Atalissa: Watch the Documentary & Go Behind the Story with Journalists from The New York Times
Kassie Bracken and Dan Barry tell POV the story behind the story of a group of men with intellectual disability who, for decades, were exploited by a turkey-processing company.
- What's Streaming, March 2014 Edition
Watch award-winning documentaries from POV free online this month! Including recent films you missed on TV, online-exclusive documentary shorts, and classics from POV's 27-year archive.
- $1,500 for a Second of Footage? A New Site Is Connecting Marketers to Documentary Filmmakers
Dust off those old hard drives. Catch & Release wants your B-roll.
- Your Best and Worst Advice for Documentary Filmmakers
Drawing influence from the new book Tell Me Something: Documentary Filmmakers, POV blog readers offer some of their best and worst advice for documentary filmmakers.
- True/False: Interview with 'Actress' Filmmaker Robert Greene
Doc Soup Man interviews filmmaker Robert Greene of the documentary Actress. Premieres at True/False Film Fest 2014.