- Call for Filmmakers: Pitch Your Short Documentary on Black-Male Achievement by 12/20
Pitch your idea for a documentary short and it could be commissioned to be part of a web series tied to the broadcast of American Promise. Deadline: 12/20/2013.
- Advice to Documentary Filmmakers From Shola Lynch on Balancing Your Personal and Creative Life
In this excerpt from Tell Me Something, filmmaker Shola Lynch shares advice on balancing one's creative and personal life. Edited by Jessica Edwards, Tell Me Something features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- Jessica Edwards on the Making of 'Tell Me Something' and Getting Advice From 60 of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Filmmaker and editor Jessica Edwards tells POV about making the book Tell Me Something, which features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- Giveaway: Win Signed 'Tell Me Something' Book With Advice From 60 of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Tell Me Something features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers. Enter to win POV's giveaway of five e-books and two signed books by filmmakers Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me, One Direction: This Is Us) and Albert Maysles (Grey Gardens, Salesman).
- Quebec's Digital Storytelling Manifesto
At IDFA 2013, digital storytellers from Quebec released a 10-point manifesto to both define "les nouvelles écritures" as an art form and to serve as a call for support from policymakers.
- In Conversation with the Critics (A #docchat Recap)
A recap of the #docchat conversation from October 22, 2013, with film journalists Christopher Campbell, Anthony Kaufman and Tom Roston.
- Six Cameras Under $300 for Video Activists on a Budget
Your smartphone may be your best tool for human rights documentation or advocacy, but in "WITNESS's Guide to Cheap Digital Cameras for Activists," Martin Tzanev and Ryan Kautz offer a few more suggestions.
- What’s in a Name: Impact Producer
Jennifer MacArthur of Borderline Media defines what an impact producer is, and why it is beneficial for social issue documentary campaigns.
- Documentary Equipment & Tools Workshop – Watch the Full Video Online
A recap of the #docchat conversation from November 12, 2013, with filmmaker-educators Duy Linh Tu (Columbia University) and Caleb Pike (DSLR Video Shooter).
- POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey (Updated)
View the infographic. Cameras, lenses, audio and more: POV asked documentary filmmakers which gear they can’t live without, and which they can't wait to try.
- Watch the POV Documentary 'Armadillo' Online Starting November 9, 2013 (For Free!)
Armadillo is available for streaming free on POV from November 9, 2013 through December 8, 2013.
- Cinema Eye Honors Nominee 'Homegoings' Is Streaming Free on POV
POV's 2013 season premiere documentary Homegoings is streaming free on POV from November 8, 2013 through December 7, 2013.
- #docchat: The 2013 Documentary Equipment & Tools Workshop – November 12
Filmmakers and educators Duy Linh Tu and Caleb Pike are taking your questions on Tuesday, November 12, 2013, from 12:30PM-1:30 PM ET (9:30-10:15 AM PT).
- The Best Documentaries of 2013
What's the best documentary of 2013? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- Five Questions for the Filmmakers of 'These Birds Walk'
Doc Soup Man interviews the directors of These Birds Walk, a lyrical documentary haiku about a young boy and an ambulance driver who try to find their way on the streets of Pakistan.
- POV Receives 2013 IDA Documentary Award Nomination for Best Continuing Series
POV is honored to be recognized as a nominee for Best Continuing Series by the 29th annual IDA Documentary Awards.
- Lessons Learned in Making Long-Term Documentary Projects (A #docchat Recap)
A recap of the #docchat conversation from October 15, 2013, with the filmmakers of My Reincarnation and American Promise.
- 'The Trials of Muhammad Ali' Uncovers Missing Chapter Behind the Legend
The Trials of Muhammad Ali fills in a chapter often left untold in the myths and legends of a man who billed himself as "The Greatest."