- The Best Documentaries of 2013
What's the best documentary of 2013? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- Five Questions for the Filmmakers of 'These Birds Walk'
Doc Soup Man interviews the directors of These Birds Walk, a lyrical documentary haiku about a young boy and an ambulance driver who try to find their way on the streets of Pakistan.
- POV Receives 2013 IDA Documentary Award Nomination for Best Continuing Series
POV is honored to be recognized as a nominee for Best Continuing Series by the 29th annual IDA Documentary Awards.
- Lessons Learned in Making Long-Term Documentary Projects (A #docchat Recap)
A recap of the #docchat conversation from October 15, 2013, with the filmmakers of My Reincarnation and American Promise.
- 'The Trials of Muhammad Ali' Uncovers Missing Chapter Behind the Legend
The Trials of Muhammad Ali fills in a chapter often left untold in the myths and legends of a man who billed himself as "The Greatest."
- 5 Lessons for Documentary Filmmakers From Pioneering New Journalism Article
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston annotates an annotation of Gay Talese's groundbreaking New Journalism article, "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold" with lessons for documentary filmmakers in mind.
- Run, Cut, Slow: Films That Document Subjects Over a Decade or More
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston takes a moment to appreciate documentaries that were made over long periods of time, like POV's American Promise and the Up series.
- #docchat: “In Conversation with the Critics” – Ask a Question or Watch on October 22
Film journalists Christopher Campbell, Anthony Kaufman and Tom Roston are taking your questions on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, from 12:30-1:30 PM ET (9:30-10:30 AM PT).
- Join “How to Plan for a Long-term Documentary Project” Online Chat on October 15
Documentary filmmakers are taking your questions during a Google+ Hangout about planning for a long-term documentary projects on Tuesday, October 15, 2013, from 12:30-1:15 PM ET (9:30-10:15 AM PT).
- Establishing the Hybrid Documentary Canon
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston argues for a need to define and establish a canon for hybrid documentaries, which include the recent Stories We Tell, The Act of Killing and The Summit.
- Where You Can Watch 2013 News and Documentary Emmy Winners
At last night's News and Documentary Emmy Awards ceremony, PBS programs garnered nine awards. The good news for you — all of these winners are available to watch for free online!
- What To Do With All That Extra Footage? Gary Hustwit Is Publishing a Book and Maybe You Should Too
Filmmaker Gary Hustwit will be publishing the complete transcripts of his design trilogy Helvetica, Objectified, Urbanized into a book.
- The Summit Takes Hybrid Documentaries to the Next Level
The Summit, a hybrid depiction of the disastrous climb, in 2008, of the K2 mountain in the Himalayas, will be released in theaters throughout the United States starting October 4, 2013.
- Fall Online #docchat Series: Engagement Strategy, Doc Criticism and More!
Join POV's Fall Online #docchat Series starting Tuesday, October 1, 2013 for online panels about engagement strategy, documentary criticism and planning for long-term documentary projects.
- Now Available Online: 'Best Kept Secret' and 'Neurotypical'
POV's two acclaimed documentaries about living with autism, 'Best Kept Secret' and 'Neurotypical,' are now available for free streaming online until October 7. 2013!
- Interact with Web Documentary Prototypes from DocMontevideo Hackathon
DocMontevideo held their first Hackathon in Montevideo, Uruguay in July 2013. Interact with the web documentary prototypes made by three teams of filmmakers and technologists from Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.
- Announcing POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey
Are you a documentary filmmaker? Then we want to hear from you! POV is surveying documentarians through October 10, 2013 to create a comprehensive equipment guide - based on what you're actually using in the field.
- Ten Questions for Eline Jongsma & Kel O'Neill of Empire
Eline Jongsma and Kel O'Neill answer questions about creating the interactive documentary Empire. The Project will have its US Premiere at the New York Film Festival’s Convergence program in September 2013.