- How the POV Hackathon Prototype “Aerial Viewing” Was Made
"We wanted to make the technology fade into the background, not be obvious -- truly content over chrome. We also wanted to experiment with breaking the rules of traditional video playback that is seen commonly on the web and in apps."
- 10 Secrets for Making the Most of Your Film's Broadcast Premiere
Picture Motion's Alexandra Pearson and Megan Ryan take us behind the scenes of the social impact campaigns of five remarkable films that aired on CNN, HBO, OWN and POV.
- International Students at The New School Screen and Discuss 'Last Train Home'
In celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, POV intern Tomas Uribe and the International Student Society and Advisory board screened Last Train Home at The New School. Tomas reports back on the screening and discussion on migration and human rights.
- And the POV Hackathon 5 Participants' Choice Winner Is…
Congrats to Noriginals, POV Hackathon 5 Participants' Choice Award Winners!
- Parenting from Both Sides of the Camera
On a motherless, motherful Mother's Day, filmmaker Judith Helfand reflects on what she has learned on both sides of the camera from her mother Florence (of Healthy Baby Girl fame), who died this past September.
- POV Hackathon: Last Call for Volunteers!
Want a behind-the-scenes look into the creation of interactive documentaries? Volunteer for POV Hackathon 5 or 6 in New York or Los Angeles!
- Top 5 Films from Hot Docs 2014
Hot Docs Film Festival 2014 concluded this weekend in Toronto, Canada. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares his favorite films from the fest.
- “Poverty Porn” and a Proposal That Could End It Once And For All
There’s potential for exploitation whenever a documentary is made. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes a new way to support the communities depicted by the filmmaker-without-a-cause.
- #docchat: Documentary Engagement Strategy: Creating a Lasting Impact on Google+ (May 6, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary engagement strategies for last impact on Google+! Tuesday, May 6, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.
- Hot Docs: Discovering 'Pine Ridge'
Allow Doc Soup Man Tom Roston to introduce you to Pine Ridge, a documentary that made an impression at Hot Docs in Toronto by first-time Swedish filmmaker Anna Eborn.
- 5 Questions for Jonathan Minard and James George, Creators of the Tribeca Storyscapes Award-Winning 'Clouds'
Clouds, originally conceived as a traditional documentary, evolved into an award-winning interactive media project where almost every aspect is created by or experienced through computer code.
- 5 Things Documentary Filmmakers Can Learn from Game Designers
Engagement, interaction, participation, messaging and the power of play: Five takeaways for filmmakers from Games for Change at Tribeca FIlm Festival's Innovation Week.
- Use of Force's Nonny de la Peña on Pushing Journalism into the Interactive Realm
Multi-platform storytelling is giving journalists a new spectrum of creativity within which to compose and share their stories. But how does this leeway affect objectivity?
- Can Interactive Films Hit the Emotional Mark? A First Look at the Projects at Tribeca Storyscapes 2014
I am always appreciative of documentaries that push the boundaries of the form, but experiencing them leaves me wondering too often: Can interactive documentaries make us feel something in the same way that traditional cinema can?
- Apply for Britdoc's PUMA Impact Award
Our friends at Britdoc are bringing back The PUMA Impact Award for the 4th year. Submit your film before April 28th to this annual prize honoring the best in documentary filmmaking for social change.
- POV Reimagines the Documentary – Again
Cross-posted from Knight Blog, the blog of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Since its earliest days, POV has been an exercise in bridging independent voices and the public by offering new tools and technology for storytelling and engagement.
- Entering the Edit With Karen Schmeer Fellow Colin Nusbaum
Get started with POV's new series delving into the craft of documentary editing with 2014 Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow Colin Nusbaum.
- #docchat: A Documentary Equipment Workshop with Caleb Pike & Richard Koci Hernandez on Google+ (April 15, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary filmmaking equipment on Google+! Tuesday, April 15, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.