- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2012
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! From advocacy films, to those lauded for their artistry and cinematography, the list is just a small sampling of the great doc year that was 2012.
- Turning to Documentaries After Tragedy
"Some might turn to religion in such situations. I turn to the arts. I want to call up a documentary that can speak to the spirit of loss, grief and, yes, hope for redemption."
- Are Movie Critics and the Documentary Press Too Nice to Documentaries?
Who really wants to knock a filmmakers life work, especially when they probably will not make any money off of it? But, does the film press let too much slide when it comes to docs?
- Reviewing the 2013 Oscar Shortlist
Tom Roston takes a look at this years docs which are contenders for Academy nominations, referencing that the list proves it was a strong year for documentaries.
- Knowing Elmo: When There's More to a Person Than His Documentary
How well must a documentary filmmaker know his or her subject?
- Documentary DPs Share Their Craft at DOC NYC
Tom Roston recaps the DOC NYC masterclass on cinematography with directors of photography Alan Jacobsen (Racing Dreams) and Tom Hurwitz (The Queen of Versailles). Panels continue through Thursday.
- 'Chasing Ice' Documents Melting Ice Caps With Chilling Results
Tom Roston reviews Jeff Orlowski's visually-striking Chasing Ice, a film about environmental photographer James Balog’s quest to document the melting of our ice caps through time lapse photography.
- Introducing a New Documentary Series on the Evolution of Documentary
Tom Roston talks with filmmaker David Van Taylor about his new documentary series To Tell The Truth which aims to cover the evolution of documentary while connecting a broader audience to the genre.
- In the Midst of a Retrospective, A Lesson from Filmmaker Ed Pincus
This weekend, Film Society of Lincoln Center reminds us that Ed Pincus should be on the list of documentary legends.
- What Are Your Top Weather Documentaries?
With Hurricane Sandy keeping people in the Northeast shuttered in, Tom Roston contemplates his top list of weather-related documentaries.
- When Commercials and Political Propaganda Become Indistinguishable
A handful of new (non-political) commercials are finding their way into that ugly area between fact, fiction and advocacy in this election season.
- Thom Powers on SundanceNOW's Doc Club
The indie film and documentary lovers over at SundanceNOW cooked up a fun idea, a doc club -- you know, like a book club. It's an engaging way of trying to wed the exploding world of online viewing and the many people who are passionate about watching documentaries.
- Antonino D'Ambrosio's “Let Fury Have the Hour”
Some documentaries just speak to you like an echo in your head. Let Fury Have the Hour had that impact on me. The film streams live on Tuesday night, October 9, 2012, from Paley DocFest.
- DCTV at 40: A Media Arts Organization Fights On
The New York City-based media arts center that produces documentary films, provides education courses and has spent decades using the power of the moving image to open eyes and grip hearts, is celebrating its 40th anniversary this week.
- Alan Berliner's 'First Cousin Once Removed'
Berliner’s film ought to resonate in a deeply personal way to anyone who has struggled to remember a lost love, a precious memory, or who has had a family member who experienced dementia in any way. In other words, the film could speak to just about anyone.
- Innocence of Muslims: A Filmmaking Success of the Worst Kind
What can documentary filmmakers learn from the idiocy of no-talent, hate-mongering hacks and the masses that are moved by them?
- Director David France on 'How to Survive a Plague'
Director David France’s documentary is a riveting chronicle of activism around the AIDS crisis and its legacy.
- An Overview of the Docs at TIFF
With the Toronto International Film Festival having kicked off at the end of last week, Tom Roston provides a short list of his must-see docs in the festival this year.