- New Anthology Showcases a New York City Not Traditionally Seen on Film
'True New York' reveals vivid, nuanced stories that are so much a part of the fabric of New York City and yet so underappreciated.
- 'Bully' Director Lee Hirsch on How Filmmakers Could Respond to a President Trump
A textbook grade-school bully now wields the power of the most powerful bully pulpit. If you are also trying to put the pieces back together post-election, I think a good place to start is with Lee Hirsch, director of Bully.
- The Nostalgic, Intimate Reveal of 'Uncle Howard'
New documentary explores the life of a beloved relative involved in the 70s and 80s filmmaking scene in New York City.
- 'Religion of Sports' Gets Into the Depths of Sports Fandom
Executive Producer Deepak Chopra on how sports can provide meaning, purpose and significance.
- 10 Great Docs You (and I) Should See at DOC NYC 2016
Tom Roston's 10 films you may not know about, but should.
- Word Association With DOC NYC's 2016 Lineup
A helpful, head-spinning word association guide to every 111 feature documentary at DOC NYC courtesy of Basil Tsiokos.
- 5 Filmmakers Share Their Hypothetical Post-Election Documentary
Filmmakers share one salient detail from their hypothetical post-2016 Election film.
- 'Peter and the Farm' Finds Profound Harmony Between Visuals and Storytelling
Far from a talking head, Peter Dunning is a deeply compelling protagonist.
- When Documentary Filmmakers Direct Political Ads
When documentary storytelling intersects with political advertising.
- The Spine-Tingling, Eye-Opening Thrill of Morgan Spurlock's 'Rats'
'Rats' invites viewers into a world underneath the gutters and in the shadows.
- How Documentarians Have Covered Donald Trump Throughout the Years
A look at the past and present documentaries that have covered Donald Trump.
- Terrence Malick's First Documentary Tackles the History of the Universe
The exquisitely constructed Voyage of Time is not your average science documentary.
- The Documentary Box Office Fizzle of 2016
The soft year at the box office may set the trend for the future theatrical life of all documentaries.
- Subverting North Korean Propaganda Through Documentary
These films show what's really happening within North Korea's closed borders.
- The Slippery Slope of Documentary Subjectivity
Is there more to Author: The JT LeRoy Story than what we are seeing?
- Regional Filmmakers With an International Footprint: 50 Years of Kartemquin Films
Kartemquin Films co-founder Gordon Quinn shares the key to the Chicago production company's longevity.
- First Look at 2016 Toronto International Film Festival's Documentary Lineup
The 2016 nonfiction TIFF slate includes Werner Herzog, Errol Morris, Steve James and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- The Documentary That Tells The Story of America's First Mass School Shooting
Why a new documentary on the 1966 UT Tower Shooting is ever relevant.