- Field of Vision Marries Documentary with Journalism
How journalism and documentary can complement each other in ways that touch us in differently.
- Ross Sutherland Remixes Nonfiction Storytelling
Meet the U.K. visual artist and poet that created a hybrid of poetry, documentary, rap and video art.
- Documentaries at the Video Store
The significant relationship between video stores and documentaries.
- Louie Psihoyos Projects Endangered Animals on the Side of the Empire State Building, But This Could Get Even Bigger
If you looked up this weekend, you might have seen something extraordinary. On Saturday night, The Cove director Louie Psihoyos put on an event in which he and a team of collaborators projected images, some moving, of endangered species onto the Empire State Building. The creatures got their due, and, hopefully, will get a chance to be brought back from going extinct.
- “My films are not about the crimes that happened in 1965. They are about impunity today.” Joshua Oppenheimer on 'The Look of Silence' and Revisiting the Indonesian Genocide
Filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer ("The Act of Killing") tells Doc Soup Man Tom Roston about the making of his new documentary, "The Look of Silence," which begins a theatrical run this weekend.
- Get Your Documentary Artistry Right Here
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston asks Ann Hornaday of The Washington Post to reconsider her view that today's documentaries aren't "bold, daring or artful."
- Lucy Walker's 'The Lion's Mouth Open' and Confronting Huntington's Disease
Where do we draw the line between being movie watchers and empathetic human beings when viewing a documentary about the fate of someone's life? Tom Roston reflects on Lucy Walker's short documentary The Lion's Mouth Opens, premiering on HBO Documentaries.
- Alex Winter's 'Deep Web' Looks Into Dark Corners of Digital Society
If you ever watched House of Cards and were as riveted as I by the young skinny, hipster hacker character who looks like a member of the band The National and sits in the dark drinking wine and cracking code, and if you also thought, "I wish they'd make a movie about that guy," then here's your movie.
- 'Dis(honesty) – The Truth About Lies' Reveals How and Why We Lie
A smart, accessible documentary that brings the research of Dan Ariely from lab to screen. And, are filmmakers liars? Doc Soup Man Tom Roston talks with director Yael Melamede about the ethical tangles of making docs.
- New Documentary Discoveries from Hot Docs 2015
What stands out most for me are two small films. They're small in the sense that they're low budget, and there's been very little talk about either one. Maybe that's part of their charm -- they felt like discoveries.
- Legendary Director Frederick Wiseman to Pitch at Hot Docs 2015 Forum
Legendary filmmaker Frederick Wiseman will pitch his new film Jackson Heights at Hot Docs Forum.
- SundanceNow Doc Club: Spotlight on Nick Broomfield
Doc Soup Man talks to director Nick Broomfield, whose work is currently showcased on SundanceNow's Doc Club.
- A Preview of Hot Docs 2015
The Hot Docs film festival in Toronto, which kicks off today, is the paradise where good documentary lovers go to die.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2015: Preview
Doc Soup Man shares the top documentary films to see at Tribeca Film Festival 2015 along with insights from Tribeca programmer, Cara Cusumano.
- Daniel McGowan at Full Frame Documentary Festival
At Full Frame Documentary Festival, If A Tree Falls subject Daniel McGowan watched the film with the documentary community for the first time after serving six years in prison for "eco-terrorism."
- Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015: A Recap
Doc Soup Man highlights films to watch out for and his favorite documentary celebrity encounters at Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015.
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2015 Preview
Which docs to see at Full Frame? Programming director Sadie Tillery took Tom Roston behind the scenes of his picks from the 2015 lineup.
- March (of the Docs) Madness 2015
Legends, stirring storylines and passionate fans are a few of the commonalities between college basketball and documentary filmmaking. 32 documentary symbols go head to head in our March Madness tournament. Vote now!