- Alex Winter's 'Deep Web' Looks Into Dark Corners of Digital Society
If you ever watched House of Cards and were as riveted as I by the young skinny, hipster hacker character who looks like a member of the band The National and sits in the dark drinking wine and cracking code, and if you also thought, "I wish they'd make a movie about that guy," then here's your movie.
- 'Dis(honesty) – The Truth About Lies' Reveals How and Why We Lie
A smart, accessible documentary that brings the research of Dan Ariely from lab to screen. And, are filmmakers liars? Doc Soup Man Tom Roston talks with director Yael Melamede about the ethical tangles of making docs.
- New Documentary Discoveries from Hot Docs 2015
What stands out most for me are two small films. They're small in the sense that they're low budget, and there's been very little talk about either one. Maybe that's part of their charm -- they felt like discoveries.
- Legendary Director Frederick Wiseman to Pitch at Hot Docs 2015 Forum
Legendary filmmaker Frederick Wiseman will pitch his new film Jackson Heights at Hot Docs Forum.
- SundanceNow Doc Club: Spotlight on Nick Broomfield
Doc Soup Man talks to director Nick Broomfield, whose work is currently showcased on SundanceNow's Doc Club.
- A Preview of Hot Docs 2015
The Hot Docs film festival in Toronto, which kicks off today, is the paradise where good documentary lovers go to die.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2015: Preview
Doc Soup Man shares the top documentary films to see at Tribeca Film Festival 2015 along with insights from Tribeca programmer, Cara Cusumano.
- Daniel McGowan at Full Frame Documentary Festival
At Full Frame Documentary Festival, If A Tree Falls subject Daniel McGowan watched the film with the documentary community for the first time after serving six years in prison for "eco-terrorism."
- Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015: A Recap
Doc Soup Man highlights films to watch out for and his favorite documentary celebrity encounters at Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015.
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2015 Preview
Which docs to see at Full Frame? Programming director Sadie Tillery took Tom Roston behind the scenes of his picks from the 2015 lineup.
- March (of the Docs) Madness 2015
Legends, stirring storylines and passionate fans are a few of the commonalities between college basketball and documentary filmmaking. 32 documentary symbols go head to head in our March Madness tournament. Vote now!
- 'India's Daughter' and the Importance of Social-Issue Documentaries
Banned from television in India as "objectionable content," Leslee Udwin's controversial documentary India's Daughter forces us to take a closer look at the 2012 gang rape in Dehli.
- Remembering Documentary Pioneer Albert Maysles
Tom Roston remembers veteran documentarian and mentor Albert Maysles.
- Oscar 2015: What the Documentary Winners Said (Or Didn't)
The documentary community breathed a deep sigh of relief last night when Laura Poitras won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature, but her speech was a missed opportunity.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the Winner Will Be…
Tom Roston considers this year's Best Documentary Oscar contenders with his tried-and-true method for predicting which film will win.
- Linklater, Like Flaherty Before Him
Like Flaherty, Linklater is pioneering a new form in film.
- Sundance 2015: Doc Buzz, Acquistions and More
Sundance 2015 is underway! Here's the word on how documentaries are fairing this year in Park City.
- Sundance and Beyond: Doc Watch 2015
Doc Soup Man shares his list of documentaries he's looking forward to in 2015, including three premiering at Sundance Film Festival, beginning on Thursday, January 22, 2015.