- Thom Powers on “The Look of Silence,” and How the Toronto Film Fest's Conference Is Tackling the Digital Documentary Landscape
Michael Moore, Joshua Oppenheimer, Marc Schiller and Astra Taylor will be a part of the Toronto International Film Festival's Doc Conference, Sept 9-10, 2014.
- The Doc Days of Summer
Many of the big docs ("big" defined as docs with box-office potential, early award buzz or strong pedigree) come out in summer. Of the top 20 box office-earning documentaries of all time, eight were released in the summer.
- The Creative Media Institute: A New Wave of Documentary Filmmakers (and Ken Burns) Fuels Hampshire College's Revived Seminar Series
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says this summer's series could become "a significant venue for the documentary filmmakers of tomorrow and the documentary pros and fans of today."
- The 10 Most Patriotic American Documentaries
On the Fourth of July, most of us, myself included, get so caught up in the food and party planning that we tend to forget that it's a day to pay tribute to our country.
- 'Code Black': A Visceral First-Hand Account of County Hospital's ER
Code Black, about County Hospital in Los Angeles and the emergency doctors who work there, is a portrait of the space where more people have died and been saved than anywhere else in the United States.
- Let Me Tell You About My Affliction
When I Walk, a documentary about filmmaker Jason DaSilva's struggle with multiple sclerosis, falls into a powerfully intimate category of documentary in which the director tells the story of his or her own affliction.
- Soccer Docs For World Cup Fever
Tom Roston suggests some soccer docs to supplement a World Cup soccer diet.
- Sebastian Junger's Documentary Korengal Is “For the Soldiers”
Journalist/filmmaker Sebastian Junger talks to Tom Roston about Bowe Bergdahl, Hollywood's depiction of war and revisiting the footage made with his Restrepo co-director Tim Hetherington.
- Master Filmmaker Agnès Varda Gives Us Her Version of a Travelogue in “From Here to There”
Legendary film and documentary director Agnès Varda's five-part docu-series Agnès Varda: From Here to There is airing on SundanceNow.
- Ask Your Jewish Grandmother About “The Sturgeon Queens”
Smoked fish, caviar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Mario Battali take the Jewish film festival circuit and PBS by storm with The Sturgeon Queens. Tom Roston talks to director Julie Cohen about the film.
- Hot Docs: 10 Documentaries Doc Soup Man Is Eager to See
Toronto's Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival runs April 24 to May 4, 2014.
- A Different Kind of Fight Film: Bill Siegel's “The Trials of Muhammad Ali”
The Trials of Muhammad Ali gives a purposeful look to Ali's life outside of the ring. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston interviews director Bill Siegel about the making of the film.
- Tribeca Film Festival Documentary Alum “Flex Is Kings” Showcases Underground Dance Of The Outer Boroughs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston discusses urban dance documentary and Tribeca Film Festival alum Flex Is Kings from Directors Deidre Schoo & Michael Beach Nichols.
- Documentary Filmmakers Debate One of Their Own
Filmmakers are arguing over The Act of Killing -- Is it brilliant storytelling or irresponsible filmmaking? -- but there's more going on here.
- Festival Madness
Sundance is behind us, SXSW is on now, Tribeca and Full Frame are coming up soon. Doc Soup Man has his picks from the past and future festivals that will set the documentary viewing agenda for the rest of the year.
- A Pioneering Reality TV Producer's Penance: Funding a New Documentary Journalism Program
Jonathan Murray, producer of "The Real World," "Project Runway" and "Keeping Up with the Kardashians," is funding a new documentary journalism center at his alma mater, the University of Missouri.
- True/False 2014: A Recap
True/False Film Fest, which wrapped its 11th edition this weekend, has garnered the reputation of being one of the most beloved film festivals in a very crowded field.
- True/False 2014: My 5 Favorite Films
Tom Roston introduces you to five documentaries you'll need to seek out in 2014.