- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the Winner Will Be…
Tom Roston considers this year's Best Documentary Oscar contenders with his tried-and-true method for predicting which film will win.
- Linklater, Like Flaherty Before Him
Like Flaherty, Linklater is pioneering a new form in film.
- Sundance 2015: Doc Buzz, Acquistions and More
Sundance 2015 is underway! Here's the word on how documentaries are fairing this year in Park City.
- Sundance and Beyond: Doc Watch 2015
Doc Soup Man shares his list of documentaries he's looking forward to in 2015, including three premiering at Sundance Film Festival, beginning on Thursday, January 22, 2015.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees are…
Doc Soup Man reflects on his Oscar nomination predictions -- after finding out he got only 60 percent right -- and checks in with two nominated filmmakers.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees will be…
Doc Soup Man is not one to shy away from predictions. His thoughts on which documentaries will be nominated for the Oscars in 2015.
- Documentary Community Gathers at 2015 Cinema Eye Honors
If there is ever a question whether or not there's an actual community of documentary filmmakers, the first bit of evidence should be the Cinema Eye Honors.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2014
Without any throat clearing about how this was yet another great year for docs -- which it was, by the way -- I present my favorite nonfiction films of 2014
- With 'Life Itself,' Steve James Has Earned the Right to Oscar
He's already been robbed of one. After decades of making documentaries, Steve James has earned the right to be recognized with an Oscar.
- Tabitha Jackson Shifts Sundance Institute's Documentary Focus Towards Aesthetics
Doc Soup Man talks with Sundance Institute's documentary program director, Tabitha Jackson, who says she wants make sure "that the doors are opened more widely" for artistic expression in documentary filmmaking.
- The Must-See Documentaries at This Year's DOC NYC Festival
Doc Soup Man picks his top four documentaries for this year's festival.
- The Doc TV to Watch this Veterans Day: Dogs of War
The new A&E reality show Dogs of War captures the healing effects shelter dogs have on war vets suffering from PTSD.
- 'Virunga' Goes to Netflix
Virunga, one of Doc Soup Man's rave docs of the year, will be available on Netflix beginning November 7, 2014. What does this mean for the film, and for Netflix's position in the doc world?
- After Passing Up a Shot at Sundance, Documentary Filmmaker Yance Ford Receives a MacArthur
"I actually followed my own advice and didn't cut for a deadline." - Strong Island filmmaker Yance Ford
- 'The Connection' and How Documentaries Can Be Good Medicine (Part 2)
"In the brave new Internet world, a documentary doesn't necessarily need the golden blessing of a film festival director."
- 'The Connection' and How Documentaries Can Be Good Medicine (Part 1)
The Connection: Mind Your Body isn't the kind of film that wins awards at festivals or even warrants being seen in a theater, but it's a very important documentary that you need to see.
- 31 Years Later, A Restored 'Burroughs: The Movie' Returns to the New York Film Festival
"He was a vital part of the cultural scene." - Tom DiCillo. The 1983 documentary 'Burroughs: The Movie' returns to the New York Film Festival on Thursday, October 9, 2014.
- After 'The Roosevelts,' What's Next for Ken Burns
Among Burns future documentaries are Vietnam, which Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says "could be Burns's most significant series since The Civil War."