- 31 Years Later, A Restored “Burroughs: The Movie” Returns to the New York Film Festival
"He was a vital part of the cultural scene." - Tom DiCillo. The 1983 documentary Burroughs: The Movie returns to the New York Film Festival on Thursday, October 9, 2014.
- After “The Roosevelts,” What's Next for Ken Burns
Among Burns future documentaries are Vietnam, which Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says "could be Burns's most significant series since The Civil War."
- Ken Burns on What We Can Do About That “One Thing We Have to Fear”
Last night, at the end of the fourth episode of The Roosevelts: An Intimate History, we saw Ken Burns do something pretty special.
- Ken Burns's The Roosevelts: The Truth Outside the Frame
We're in the thick of The Roosevelts: An Intimate History, Ken Burns's seven-part PBS series, but what I want to address here is what's not on the screen.
- Ken Burns on “The Ken Burns Effect” (and the 8 Effects He Actually Uses)
"I have saved millions of bar mitzvahs and weddings and vacations," say Burns, whose seven-part series, The Roosevelts: An Intimate History, begins Sunday on PBS.
- It's Time to Remove the Stigma That Follows Ken Burns
I did a deep dive into Burns's work, and I began to realize that a no-holds-barred appreciation of the greatness of his work is due.
- Thom Powers on “The Look of Silence,” and How the Toronto Film Fest's Conference Is Tackling the Digital Documentary Landscape
Michael Moore, Joshua Oppenheimer, Marc Schiller and Astra Taylor will be a part of the Toronto International Film Festival's Doc Conference, Sept 9-10, 2014.
- The Doc Days of Summer
Many of the big docs ("big" defined as docs with box-office potential, early award buzz or strong pedigree) come out in summer. Of the top 20 box office-earning documentaries of all time, eight were released in the summer.
- The Creative Media Institute: A New Wave of Documentary Filmmakers (and Ken Burns) Fuels Hampshire College's Revived Seminar Series
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says this summer's series could become "a significant venue for the documentary filmmakers of tomorrow and the documentary pros and fans of today."
- The 10 Most Patriotic American Documentaries
On the Fourth of July, most of us, myself included, get so caught up in the food and party planning that we tend to forget that it's a day to pay tribute to our country.
- 'Code Black': A Visceral First-Hand Account of County Hospital's ER
Code Black, about County Hospital in Los Angeles and the emergency doctors who work there, is a portrait of the space where more people have died and been saved than anywhere else in the United States.
- Let Me Tell You About My Affliction
When I Walk, a documentary about filmmaker Jason DaSilva's struggle with multiple sclerosis, falls into a powerfully intimate category of documentary in which the director tells the story of his or her own affliction.
- Soccer Docs For World Cup Fever
Tom Roston suggests some soccer docs to supplement a World Cup soccer diet.
- Sebastian Junger's Documentary Korengal Is “For the Soldiers”
Journalist/filmmaker Sebastian Junger talks to Tom Roston about Bowe Bergdahl, Hollywood's depiction of war and revisiting the footage made with his Restrepo co-director Tim Hetherington.
- Master Filmmaker Agnès Varda Gives Us Her Version of a Travelogue in “From Here to There”
Legendary film and documentary director Agnès Varda's five-part docu-series Agnès Varda: From Here to There is airing on SundanceNow.
- Ask Your Jewish Grandmother About “The Sturgeon Queens”
Smoked fish, caviar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Mario Battali take the Jewish film festival circuit and PBS by storm with The Sturgeon Queens. Tom Roston talks to director Julie Cohen about the film.
- Hot Docs: 10 Documentaries Doc Soup Man Is Eager to See
Toronto's Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival runs April 24 to May 4, 2014.
- A Different Kind of Fight Film: Bill Siegel's “The Trials of Muhammad Ali”
The Trials of Muhammad Ali gives a purposeful look to Ali's life outside of the ring. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston interviews director Bill Siegel about the making of the film.