- Festival Madness
Sundance is behind us, SXSW is on now, Tribeca and Full Frame are coming up soon. Doc Soup Man has his picks from the past and future festivals that will set the documentary viewing agenda for the rest of the year.
- A Pioneering Reality TV Producer's Penance: Funding a New Documentary Journalism Program
Jonathan Murray, producer of "The Real World," "Project Runway" and "Keeping Up with the Kardashians," is funding a new documentary journalism center at his alma mater, the University of Missouri.
- True/False 2014: A Recap
True/False Film Fest, which wrapped its 11th edition this weekend, has garnered the reputation of being one of the most beloved film festivals in a very crowded field.
- True/False 2014: My 5 Favorite Films
Tom Roston introduces you to five documentaries you'll need to seek out in 2014.
- The Oscars: Doc Soup Man's Predictions for Best Documentary
Five documentaries are vying for an Academy Award this Sunday. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston picks the one that could win, and why.
- Documentary Filmmakers: You Call That A Trailer?
What's the deal with documentary trailers? Tom Roston considers some of the best and most disappointing doc trailers he's seen and wonders if they're a marketing tool finally on the upswing in the documentary world.
- Sundance 2014: Five Major Documentary Takeaways
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares the biggest documentary news from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.
- Impressions on the 2014 Oscar Best Documentary Nominees and Snubs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston gives his impressions on today's Best Documentary Academy Award Nominations and snubs
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2013
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! These films pushed the boundaries of the form and helped take documentary storytelling to a whole new level.
- An Open Letter to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to Include Documentaries in the Golden Globes
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston encourages the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to consider why they should include a documentary category in their annual Golden Globe Awards.
- Reviewing the 2014 Oscar Shortlist for Best Documentary Award
Last week, the shortlist of films eligible for the 2014 best documentary Academy Award was announced. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reviews the list and shares what he thinks will make the top 5 nominations.
- DOC NYC 2013: Errol Morris's “The Unknown Known” and the Mysteries of Donald Rumsfeld
The nation's largest documentary film festival opened with a "contemplative head-scratcher," a film the legendary director himself told the audience he likes because it's so unsatisfying.
- Is a Filmmaker's Personal Life Relevant to a Film? Another Look at 'Blood Brother'
Most industry folks try to judge a film purely by what happens between the opening and closing credits -- directors would certainly prefer things that way -- but that's an ideal. Sometimes, we have to look outside the frame.
- Directors Martha Shane and Lana Wilson on 'After Tiller'
"Working on this film has definitely put an end to a lot of cocktail party conversations." Martha Shane, along with co-director Lana Wilson, talk with Doc Soup Man ahead of the release of After Tiller, a documentary about late-term abortion doctors.
- Doc Soup Man's Top 10 Favorite Competition Documentaries
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston names his top ten favorite competition documentaries in advance of the broadcast of Ping Pong on PBS.
- Michael Palmieri and Donal Mosher on Facts, Interpretations and 'Off Label'
The directors of the new documentary Off Label chat with journalist Tom Roston about their film and the "New Doc Vague."
- Neurotypical and Jenny McCarthy: One of These Deserves the Autism Soapbox
Journalist Tom Roston wishes the perspectives of people on the autism spectrum would get as much attention as the outspoken controversial ones of new "The View" co-host Jenny McCarthy.
- Inspired by a Magazine Article (But Works Better on a Big Screen)
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston asks the question "Have you wondered where magazine stories end and documentaries begin?"