- Soccer Docs For World Cup Fever
Tom Roston suggests some soccer docs to supplement a World Cup soccer diet.
- Sebastian Junger's Documentary Korengal Is “For the Soldiers”
Journalist/filmmaker Sebastian Junger talks to Tom Roston about Bowe Bergdahl, Hollywood's depiction of war and revisiting the footage made with his Restrepo co-director Tim Hetherington.
- Master Filmmaker Agnès Varda Gives Us Her Version of a Travelogue in “From Here to There”
Legendary film and documentary director Agnès Varda's five-part docu-series Agnès Varda: From Here to There is airing on SundanceNow.
- Ask Your Jewish Grandmother About “The Sturgeon Queens”
Smoked fish, caviar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Mario Battali take the Jewish film festival circuit and PBS by storm with The Sturgeon Queens. Tom Roston talks to director Julie Cohen about the film.
- Hot Docs: 10 Documentaries Doc Soup Man Is Eager to See
Toronto's Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival runs April 24 to May 4, 2014.
- A Different Kind of Fight Film: Bill Siegel's “The Trials of Muhammad Ali”
The Trials of Muhammad Ali gives a purposeful look to Ali's life outside of the ring. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston interviews director Bill Siegel about the making of the film.
- Tribeca Film Festival Documentary Alum “Flex Is Kings” Showcases Underground Dance Of The Outer Boroughs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston discusses urban dance documentary and Tribeca Film Festival alum Flex Is Kings from Directors Deidre Schoo & Michael Beach Nichols.
- Documentary Filmmakers Debate One of Their Own
Filmmakers are arguing over The Act of Killing -- Is it brilliant storytelling or irresponsible filmmaking? -- but there's more going on here.
- Festival Madness
Sundance is behind us, SXSW is on now, Tribeca and Full Frame are coming up soon. Doc Soup Man has his picks from the past and future festivals that will set the documentary viewing agenda for the rest of the year.
- A Pioneering Reality TV Producer's Penance: Funding a New Documentary Journalism Program
Jonathan Murray, producer of "The Real World," "Project Runway" and "Keeping Up with the Kardashians," is funding a new documentary journalism center at his alma mater, the University of Missouri.
- True/False 2014: A Recap
True/False Film Fest, which wrapped its 11th edition this weekend, has garnered the reputation of being one of the most beloved film festivals in a very crowded field.
- True/False 2014: My 5 Favorite Films
Tom Roston introduces you to five documentaries you'll need to seek out in 2014.
- The Oscars: Doc Soup Man's Predictions for Best Documentary
Five documentaries are vying for an Academy Award this Sunday. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston picks the one that could win, and why.
- Documentary Filmmakers: You Call That A Trailer?
What's the deal with documentary trailers? Tom Roston considers some of the best and most disappointing doc trailers he's seen and wonders if they're a marketing tool finally on the upswing in the documentary world.
- Sundance 2014: Five Major Documentary Takeaways
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares the biggest documentary news from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.
- Impressions on the 2014 Oscar Best Documentary Nominees and Snubs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston gives his impressions on today's Best Documentary Academy Award Nominations and snubs
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2013
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! These films pushed the boundaries of the form and helped take documentary storytelling to a whole new level.
- An Open Letter to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to Include Documentaries in the Golden Globes
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston encourages the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to consider why they should include a documentary category in their annual Golden Globe Awards.