- Inspired by a Magazine Article (But Works Better on a Big Screen)
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston asks the question "Have you wondered where magazine stories end and documentaries begin?"
- Celebrate The New Doc Vague!
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston elaborates on the idea of "The New Doc Vague" and invites filmmaker Sean Dunne of Oxyana to address criticisms of the film.
- Beware The New Doc Vague
Doc Soup Man labels "The New Doc Vague" to a recent movement of documentary films that heavily rely on impressionistic representations of life.
- And Now for Something Completely Different…
DocSoup Man raises questions about why Morgan Spurlock, director of Super Size Me, is directing One Direction: This is Us.
- Homegoings: A Documentary About Living With Death
Tom Roston reviews documentaries that deal with the issue of death. Homegoings, about an African-American funeral home in Harlem, will air tonight on PBS at 10 PM ET.
- In Search of Balance for the Pro-Nuclear-Energy Doc “Pandora's Promise”
Robert Stone's documentary Pandora's Promise shows one side of the energy debate. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston talks with author-journalist Mark Hertsgaard for some context.
- Netflix Streaming Deals for Documentary Filmmakers — Some Numbers
How much do you think a documentary filmmaker earns for a film streaming on Netflix?
- Two Documentaries You Might Never See (Because the Directors Won't Change Their Titles)
Michal Marczak and Amit Virmani made two of the best documentaries Tom Roston has seen this year. Never heard of them? It might be because of their titles.
- “Stuck” and Why We Shouldn't Discount Documentaries Used Primarily as Tools for Change
Tom Roston questions why documentaries held in high regard have to be about "storytelling" and "cinema."
- Doc Soup: 'Stories We Tell' Heads to Theaters
Tom Roston reflects on Sarah Polley's 'Stories We Tell' after a first weekend of box office success.
- Seven Reasons to Love Hot Docs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reveals his favorite aspects of the 2013 Hot Docs Documentary Festival in Toronto, Canada.
- Hot Docs 2013: “Caucus”
Tom Roston gives his review of "Caucus," a documentary premiered at Hot Docs this year which follows the 2012 Republican campaign trail through Iowa.
- Hot Docs 2013: Preview
Doc Soup Man gives a preview of the documentaries that are on his must see list as he heads to Hot Docs this week.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2013: Documentary Preview
Tom Roston highlights 13 documentaries to look out for at the nonfiction onslaught that is the Tribeca Film Festival (April 17-28, 2013).
- The Two Guccis of Tribeca 2013
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston contemplates conflicts of interest in festival funding after learning that the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival will be screening "The Director," a documentary with a subject who is also a sponsor.
- Maidentrip: A Tale of Two Storytellers
Tom Roston talks with 'Maidentrip' director Jillian Schlesinger about her unconventional approach to making her film, and the questions that arise around the film's authorship.
- My Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Festival 2013
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including The Act of Killing, Stories We Tell, These Birds Walk, Pandora's Promise and My Favorite Picture of You.
- Why True/False 2013 Rocked (And Why True/False Always Rocks)
The 2013 True/False Film Fest just wrapped and, once again, the phrases "this is my favorite festival," and "I love this festival more than any other" were heard and seen over and over.