- The Two Guccis of Tribeca 2013
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston contemplates conflicts of interest in festival funding after learning that the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival will be screening "The Director," a documentary with a subject who is also a sponsor.
- Maidentrip: A Tale of Two Storytellers
Tom Roston talks with 'Maidentrip' director Jillian Schlesinger about her unconventional approach to making her film, and the questions that arise around the film's authorship.
- My Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Festival 2013
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including The Act of Killing, Stories We Tell, These Birds Walk, Pandora's Promise and My Favorite Picture of You.
- Why True/False 2013 Rocked (And Why True/False Always Rocks)
The 2013 True/False Film Fest just wrapped and, once again, the phrases "this is my favorite festival," and "I love this festival more than any other" were heard and seen over and over.
- True/False Film Fest Stands Out in Missouri
True/False celebrates its tenth year, beginning February 28. Tom Roston spoke with co-founder Paul Sturtz about heading up a festival that strikes its own path.
- Oscar 2013: Can Anything Overtake Sugar Man?
It’s as close to a lock on the Oscar winner as we’ve had in years. Everyone else is saying that 'Searching for Sugar Man' will win, so, just for the sake of keeping things lively, Tom Roston gives the race a second thought.
- The Infamous Oscar Speech Heard Around the World
"I’m not saying we owe Michael Moore an apology for the way he was derided for his speech after winning the Academy Award 10 years ago, but I think we can at least acknowledge that he was right."
- Life Is But a Dream: Beyoncé's Red Carpet Documentary Premiere
Tom Roston's new found admiration for Beyoncé takes him to the premiere of her new HBO documentary, "Beyoncé: Life is But a Dream." But is the film any good?
- BizVizz: A Mobile App Inspired by a Documentary Film
Independent journalist Tom Roston talks with filmmaker Brad Lichtenstein, who directed a documentary, then created a corporate accountability app. The app is in Apple's App Store today, and the film re-airs on PBS's Independent Lens tonight.
- Sundance 2013: Blood Brother Finishes Strong Winning Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize
Sundance closed with a bang this weekend, at least for Blood Brother. Will the wins be enough to secure distribution?
- Te'o, Catfish, and Truth in Documentary Filmmaking
Using the latest story about Manti Te'o as a launching pad, Tom Roston discusses the broader notion of truth and veracity when it comes to documentary filmmaking.
- Sundance 2013: Which Way is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington
Which Way is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington (dir. Sebastian Junger) To kick off the Sundance Festival, I wrote about must-see documentary, Fire in the Blood, which is playing there. It is a documentary that needs to be seen because it addresses a crisis—the dying of millions of […]
- Sundance 2013: Senior Programmer Caroline Libresco
Part 2 of 2: Tom Roston interviews Sundance Film Festival Senior Programmers David Courier and Caroline Libresco about documentaries to watch out for at this year's festival, which begins today.
- Sundance 2013: Senior Programmer David Courier
Part 1 of 2: Tom Roston interviews Sundance Film Festival Senior Programmers David Courier and Caroline Libresco about documentaries to watch out for at this year's festival, which begins today.
- Sundance 2013: R.J. Cutler's The World According to Dick Cheney
Tom Roston is surprised to learn The World According to Dick Cheney directed by R.J. Cutler - screening at Sundance 2013 - isn't quite the hatchet job he thought it would be.
- Fire in the Blood: A Must-See Film at Sundance
Tom Roston spells out why 'Fire in the Blood' should be on everyone's must-see doc list at Sundance this year.
- A Documentary Dream Team (The 2013 Sundance U.S. Documentary Jury)
It's Sundance season, and Tom Roston is looking West to the all-star documentary jury of the 2013 Sundance Film Festival
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2012
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! From advocacy films, to those lauded for their artistry and cinematography, the list is just a small sampling of the great doc year that was 2012.