- Seven Reasons to Love Hot Docs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reveals his favorite aspects of the 2013 Hot Docs Documentary Festival in Toronto, Canada.
- Hot Docs 2013: “Caucus”
Tom Roston gives his review of "Caucus," a documentary premiered at Hot Docs this year which follows the 2012 Republican campaign trail through Iowa.
- A Call for Documentary Critics
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says film criticism is in decline just as documentary is reaching new heights in popularity. Where are the critics who can recognize what's great -- and what's not -- in a documentary?
- Hot Docs 2013: Preview
Doc Soup Man gives a preview of the documentaries that are on his must see list as he heads to Hot Docs this week.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2013: “Big Men” and “Flex is Kings”
Tom Roston reviews documentaries "Big Men" and "Flex is Kings" at the Tribeca Film Festival (April 17-28, 2013).
- Tribeca Film Festival 2013: Documentary Preview
Tom Roston highlights 13 documentaries to look out for at the nonfiction onslaught that is the Tribeca Film Festival (April 17-28, 2013).
- “Tell Me Something” Features Advice From Fifty of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Doc Soup Man interviews Jessica Edwards, editor of "Tell me Something," an in-progress photography and creative advice book from fifty of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- The Two Guccis of Tribeca 2013
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston contemplates conflicts of interest in festival funding after learning that the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival will be screening "The Director," a documentary with a subject who is also a sponsor.
- Maidentrip: A Tale of Two Storytellers
Tom Roston talks with 'Maidentrip' director Jillian Schlesinger about her unconventional approach to making her film, and the questions that arise around the film's authorship.
- My Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Festival 2013
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including The Act of Killing, Stories We Tell, These Birds Walk, Pandora's Promise and My Favorite Picture of You.
- Why True/False 2013 Rocked (And Why True/False Always Rocks)
The 2013 True/False Film Fest just wrapped and, once again, the phrases "this is my favorite festival," and "I love this festival more than any other" were heard and seen over and over.
- True/False Film Fest Stands Out in Missouri
True/False celebrates its tenth year, beginning February 28. Tom Roston spoke with co-founder Paul Sturtz about heading up a festival that strikes its own path.
- Oscar 2013: Can Anything Overtake Sugar Man?
It’s as close to a lock on the Oscar winner as we’ve had in years. Everyone else is saying that 'Searching for Sugar Man' will win, so, just for the sake of keeping things lively, Tom Roston gives the race a second thought.
- The Infamous Oscar Speech Heard Around the World
"I’m not saying we owe Michael Moore an apology for the way he was derided for his speech after winning the Academy Award 10 years ago, but I think we can at least acknowledge that he was right."
- Life Is But a Dream: Beyoncé's Red Carpet Documentary Premiere
Tom Roston's new found admiration for Beyoncé takes him to the premiere of her new HBO documentary, "Beyoncé: Life is But a Dream." But is the film any good?
- BizVizz: A Mobile App Inspired by a Documentary Film
Independent journalist Tom Roston talks with filmmaker Brad Lichtenstein, who directed a documentary, then created a corporate accountability app. The app is in Apple's App Store today, and the film re-airs on PBS's Independent Lens tonight.
- Sundance 2013: Blood Brother Finishes Strong Winning Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize
Sundance closed with a bang this weekend, at least for Blood Brother. Will the wins be enough to secure distribution?
- Te'o, Catfish, and Truth in Documentary Filmmaking
Using the latest story about Manti Te'o as a launching pad, Tom Roston discusses the broader notion of truth and veracity when it comes to documentary filmmaking.