- BizVizz: A Mobile App Inspired by a Documentary Film
Independent journalist Tom Roston talks with filmmaker Brad Lichtenstein, who directed a documentary, then created a corporate accountability app. The app is in Apple's App Store today, and the film re-airs on PBS's Independent Lens tonight.
- Sundance 2013: Blood Brother Finishes Strong Winning Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize
Sundance closed with a bang this weekend, at least for Blood Brother. Will the wins be enough to secure distribution?
- Te'o, Catfish, and Truth in Documentary Filmmaking
Using the latest story about Manti Te'o as a launching pad, Tom Roston discusses the broader notion of truth and veracity when it comes to documentary filmmaking.
- Sundance 2013: Which Way is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington
Which Way is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington (dir. Sebastian Junger) To kick off the Sundance Festival, I wrote about must-see documentary, Fire in the Blood, which is playing there. It is a documentary that needs to be seen because it addresses a crisis—the dying of millions of […]
- Sundance 2013: Senior Programmer Caroline Libresco
Part 2 of 2: Tom Roston interviews Sundance Film Festival Senior Programmers David Courier and Caroline Libresco about documentaries to watch out for at this year's festival, which begins today.
- Sundance 2013: Senior Programmer David Courier
Part 1 of 2: Tom Roston interviews Sundance Film Festival Senior Programmers David Courier and Caroline Libresco about documentaries to watch out for at this year's festival, which begins today.
- Sundance 2013: R.J. Cutler's The World According to Dick Cheney
Tom Roston is surprised to learn The World According to Dick Cheney directed by R.J. Cutler - screening at Sundance 2013 - isn't quite the hatchet job he thought it would be.
- Fire in the Blood: A Must-See Film at Sundance
Tom Roston spells out why 'Fire in the Blood' should be on everyone's must-see doc list at Sundance this year.
- A Documentary Dream Team (The 2013 Sundance U.S. Documentary Jury)
It's Sundance season, and Tom Roston is looking West to the all-star documentary jury of the 2013 Sundance Film Festival
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2012
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! From advocacy films, to those lauded for their artistry and cinematography, the list is just a small sampling of the great doc year that was 2012.
- Turning to Documentaries After Tragedy
"Some might turn to religion in such situations. I turn to the arts. I want to call up a documentary that can speak to the spirit of loss, grief and, yes, hope for redemption."
- Are Movie Critics and the Documentary Press Too Nice to Documentaries?
Who really wants to knock a filmmakers life work, especially when they probably will not make any money off of it? But, does the film press let too much slide when it comes to docs?
- Reviewing the 2013 Oscar Shortlist
Tom Roston takes a look at this years docs which are contenders for Academy nominations, referencing that the list proves it was a strong year for documentaries.
- Knowing Elmo: When There's More to a Person Than His Documentary
How well must a documentary filmmaker know his or her subject?
- The Greatest Documentaries of All Time: Tom Roston on 'Powers of Ten'
"Maybe it’s not a documentary, per se, without characters and human narrative, but it’s a bit of non-fiction filmmaking that provokes more thought than any other I’ve ever seen."
- Documentary DPs Share Their Craft at DOC NYC
Tom Roston recaps the DOC NYC masterclass on cinematography with directors of photography Alan Jacobsen (Racing Dreams) and Tom Hurwitz (The Queen of Versailles). Panels continue through Thursday.
- 'Chasing Ice' Documents Melting Ice Caps With Chilling Results
Tom Roston reviews Jeff Orlowski's visually-striking Chasing Ice, a film about environmental photographer James Balog’s quest to document the melting of our ice caps through time lapse photography.
- Introducing a New Documentary Series on the Evolution of Documentary
Tom Roston talks with filmmaker David Van Taylor about his new documentary series To Tell The Truth which aims to cover the evolution of documentary while connecting a broader audience to the genre.