- Oscar 2012: 'Undefeated,' and the New Rules for Predicting an Academy Award Win
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston's Documentary Oscar streak is over, but he's planning a come back next year with a new standard for predicting the winner.
- Oscar 2012: Predicting the Documentary Winners
Who will win? Doc Soup Man has picked it for four years running. But this year, he says, is one of the closest races in years.
- Documentaries for the Downton Abbey Fan
Ultimate fan and Crawley wannabe Tom Roston shares a trove of documentaries you can watch online about the upstairs-downstairs set.
- On 'Gasland' Director Josh Fox's Arrest
After the controversy around the arrest of documentarian Josh Fox at a congressional hearing, Tom Roston delves into his take on the matter and brings to light the arrests of other documentary filmmakers.
- The Sundance 2012 Documentary Winners
Any documentary filmmaker will tell you that getting a film into Sundance is a Herculean achievement in itself, but some also come away with an award. Check out a rundown of the 13 prizes given to documentaries at this year's festival.
- Oscar 2012: Surprises Among the Documentary Nominations
Wow. The Oscar nominees were just announced this morning and I have to admit I was shocked. I was so expecting a number of popular and incredibly well-made films to get the nods, but I was wrong.
- Sundance 2012: The Man Behind the Docs Selling at Sundance
So far, who’s the most important person in docs at Sundance this year? A festival organizer? A doc subject? A director? Or none of the above?
- Sundance 2012: When Documentary Subjects Attack
When the 2012 Sundance Film Festival begins this Thursday, attendees will be treated to the premiere of a real-life version of When Documentary Subjects Attack!
- Documenting AIDS
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reviews the state of documentaries about an epidemic that hasn't gone away.
- 10 Documentaries to Look Forward To in 2012
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston's list of 10 documentaries he's eager to see in 2012 includes picks that are way off the radar or a figment of his imagination.
- 'Crazy Wisdom' Screening Brings Out Two “Bad Boys of Buddhism”
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston attends a screening of Johanna Demetrakas' Crazy Wisdom: The Life & Times of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche where Buddhism scholar Robert Thurman also admits to an "addiction to sacrilege."
- Where Are the First-Person Women Documentarians?
With Tiffany Shlain's personal documentary Connected wrapping up its theatrical run, Doc Soup Man Tom Roston asks why the best known first-person documentarians are men.
- Doc Soup: Documentary Director Roll Call at 2012 Sundance Film Festival
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston weighs in on the balance of new to legendary directors in both the dramatic film and documentary selections at the Sundance Film Festival.
- Doc Soup: Should Aspiring Documentary Filmmakers Go To Film School?
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston tackles the age-old question with input from self-taught filmmaker Matt Morris, professional doc director Brent Huffman, and Jan Krawitz, the head of Stanford's documentary MFA program.
- Doc Soup: The 10 Most Unforgettable Moments in Documentary History
Independent journalist Tom Roston checks in with a list of moments that remind us why we love documentaries. What would top your list?
- Doc Soup: Werner Herzog: 'I am the director'
Who is the director? Albert Maysles and Werner Herzog take two positions after DOC NYC's opening night premiere of Herzog's doc Into the Abyss.
- Doc Soup: The #tweetmydoc Chat with Twitter Documentary Pitch Winner @YourName_MyName
Replay the October 27, 2011, Twitter interview between @DocSoupMan Tom Roston and #tweetmydoc twitter documentary pitch winner @YourName_MyName (Osato Dixon).
- Doc Soup: Announcing the #tweetmydoc Pitch Winner: 'Your Name Is My Name'!
Tom Roston profiles 'Your Name Is My Name's Osata Dixon (@YourName_MyName), who distilled a documentary pitch into 104 compelling characters. Join a #tweetmydoc Twitter chat with Dixon Thursday at 12 PM Eastern.