- With Graphic Imagery, 'Cries From Syria' Calls on Audiences to See Conflict's Harsh Reality
Director Evgeny Afineevsky aims to make audiences think, re-evaluate, and learn.
- The Artful, Intelligent and Unconventional Approach That Sets MoMA's Doc Fortnight Apart
Taking place at the Museum of Modern Art, Doc Fortnight spotlights the artful aspects of nonfiction filmmaking.
- Short in Length, Big on Vision: Inside the 5 Oscar-Nominated Documentary Shorts
Why the Oscar-nominated documentary shorts are worth the download or trip to the theater.
- 2017 Academy Awards: The A-List Contenders for Best Feature Documentary and Best Documentary Short Subject
The stellar documentary competition for the 89th Academy Awards.
- Fact or Fiction: 'FRAUD' Challenges What Constitutes a Documentary
A new film by Dean Fleischer-Camp controversially tests the boundaries of documentary.
- The Documentaries to Watch at Sundance, Slamdance or in Theaters in 2017
What does 2017 have in store for us? Doc Soup Man highlights his picks.
- Doc Soup's Top Ten Documentaries of 2016
Doc Soup Man shares his official top ten documentaries of 2016. What's on your list?
- A TV Film or a Film on TV: 'O.J. Simpson: Made in America' Puts the Divide in Doubt
Is categorizing a documentary a meaningless endeavor in the first place?
- New Anthology Showcases a New York City Not Traditionally Seen on Film
'True New York' reveals vivid, nuanced stories that are so much a part of the fabric of New York City and yet so underappreciated.
- 'Bully' Director Lee Hirsch on How Filmmakers Could Respond to a President Trump
A textbook grade-school bully now wields the power of the most powerful bully pulpit. If you are also trying to put the pieces back together post-election, I think a good place to start is with Lee Hirsch, director of Bully.
- The Nostalgic, Intimate Reveal of 'Uncle Howard'
New documentary explores the life of a beloved relative involved in the 70s and 80s filmmaking scene in New York City.
- 'Religion of Sports' Gets Into the Depths of Sports Fandom
Executive Producer Deepak Chopra on how sports can provide meaning, purpose and significance.
- 10 Great Docs You (and I) Should See at DOC NYC 2016
Tom Roston's 10 films you may not know about, but should.
- Word Association With DOC NYC's 2016 Lineup
A helpful, head-spinning word association guide to every 111 feature documentary at DOC NYC courtesy of Basil Tsiokos.
- 5 Filmmakers Share Their Hypothetical Post-Election Documentary
Filmmakers share one salient detail from their hypothetical post-2016 Election film.
- 'Peter and the Farm' Finds Profound Harmony Between Visuals and Storytelling
Far from a talking head, Peter Dunning is a deeply compelling protagonist.
- When Documentary Filmmakers Direct Political Ads
When documentary storytelling intersects with political advertising.
- The Spine-Tingling, Eye-Opening Thrill of Morgan Spurlock's 'Rats'
'Rats' invites viewers into a world underneath the gutters and in the shadows.