- Michael Moore's Quest to Better America
Michael Moore's latest documentary asks: Can America look outside itself for better solutions?
- The Stunning Storytelling of Laura Poitras: Astro Noise
Why award-winning documentarian Laura Poitras' first solo museum exhibition at the Whitney Museum can't be missed.
- The Breakdown of Sundance Documentary Deals
What goes into a documentary distribution deal during a major film festival?
- Doc Soup's Most Anticipated Sundance Documentaries
The Sundance Film Festival kicks off today and, as always, there’s an astounding slate of documentaries that will be premiering there. These are the docs that we’ll be hearing about all year: Weiner, about Anthony Weiner’s unsuccessful mayoral bid and sexting scandal implosion; Jim: The James Foley Story, about the American journalist who was beheaded […]
- What an Oscar Nomination Means to Joshua Oppenheimer
How Oscar recognition can aid a greater purpose.
- Doc Apocalypse? Michael Moore and Documentary Box Office Success
Tom Roston sits down with Michael Moore to talk Oscars and documentary box office success.
- Oscar or Oscan't: Doc Soup Man Predictions for Best Documentary Feature
Doc Soup Man's Academy Award predictions are in, and he had to let a few favorites go.
- Doc Soup's Top Ten Documentaries of 2015
Doc Soup Man shares his official top ten documentaries of 2015. What's on your list?
- Almost There: Outsider Art and Documentary Ethics
In Almost There by Dan Rybicky and Aaron Wickenden, documenting an unknown artist's story leads a filmmaker to confront his own family's history of mental illness and dysfunction.
- Great Expectations: The Surprising And Not So Surprising Oscar Documentary Shortlist Picks
See what documentaries made the cut for the Oscar shortlist.
- Giving Thanks for Docs
I was feeling a general sense of gratitude for the world of documentary film. I got to thinking about the many things that I am thankful for.
- The Action-Packed Nuance of Cartel Land
The case for Cartel Land to make the Oscar shortlist for Best Documentary Feature.
- What to Watch at DOC NYC 2015
Basil Tsiokos of DOC NYC shares what documentaries to look out for at this year's festival.
- A Conversation with Filmmaker Maxim Pozdorovkin
Maxim Pozdorovkin, co-director of The Notorious Mr. Bout talks about his controversial subject and Russian stereotypes.
- David Evans on Directing 'What Our Fathers Did: A Nazi Legacy'
"We had no producers. No broadcaster. No one at all who was interested in our little passion project. And that's part of what appealed to me."
- Hollywood's Opportunity for a Referendum on Scientology
Alex Gibney's documentary Going Clear is giving Hollywood the chance to say, "This Scientology crap isn't what we're about."
- Field of Vision Marries Documentary with Journalism
At the end of the year, documentaries tend to get more play in the culture. Maybe it’s the oncoming of winter that makes people more inclined for the gravitas of the non-fiction form. Also, awards season heats up with more press about docs. Festivals in Toronto and New York launch new films. This year, the […]
- Ross Sutherland Remixes Non-fiction Storytelling
I share a few things, other than facial hair, with U.K. visual artist and poet Ross Sutherland. There’s an interest in how we humans find patterns in our experiences, in culture, and in our own thought processes that help us understand—maybe the better word is “fool ourselves”—about who we are. There’s also Sutherland’s fascination with […]