- Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015: A Recap
Doc Soup Man highlights films to watch out for and his favorite documentary celebrity encounters at Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015.
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2015 Preview
Which docs to see at Full Frame? Programming director Sadie Tillery took Tom Roston behind the scenes of his picks from the 2015 lineup.
- March (of the Docs) Madness 2015
Legends, stirring storylines and passionate fans are a few of the commonalities between college basketball and documentary filmmaking. 32 documentary symbols go head to head in our March Madness tournament. Vote now!
- 'India's Daughter' and the Importance of Social-Issue Documentaries
Banned from television in India as "objectionable content," Leslee Udwin's controversial documentary India's Daughter forces us to take a closer look at the 2012 gang rape in Dehli.
- Remembering Documentary Pioneer Albert Maysles
Tom Roston remembers veteran documentarian and mentor Albert Maysles.
- Oscar 2015: What the Documentary Winners Said (Or Didn't)
The documentary community breathed a deep sigh of relief last night when Laura Poitras won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature, but her speech was a missed opportunity.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the winner will be…
Tom Roston considers this year's Best Documentary Oscar contenders with his tried-and-true method for predicting which film will win.
- Linklater, Like Flaherty Before Him
Robert Flaherty and Richard Linklater are on opposite sides of the same film can. Flaherty, whose 131st birthday would have been this Monday, February 16th, is, of course, one of the pioneers of documentary film. We’ll get to Linklater, the director from Texas who made last year’s Oscar-nominated Boyhood, in a moment, but it’s Flaherty […]
- Sundance 2015: Doc Buzz, Acquistions and More
Sundance 2015 is underway! Here's the word on how documentaries are fairing this year in Park City.
- Sundance and Beyond: Doc Watch 2015
Doc Soup Man shares his list of documentaries he's looking forward to in 2015, including three premiering at Sundance Film Festival, beginning on Thursday, January 22, 2015.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees are…
Doc Soup Man reflects on his Oscar nomination predictions -- after finding out he got only 60 percent right -- and checks in with two nominated filmmakers.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees will be…
Doc Soup Man is not one to shy away from predictions. His thoughts on which documentaries will be nominated for the Oscars in 2015.
- Documentary Community Gathers at 2015 Cinema Eye Honors
If there is ever a question whether or not there's an actual community of documentary filmmakers, the first bit of evidence should be the Cinema Eye Honors.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2014
Without any throat clearing about how this was yet another great year for docs -- which it was, by the way -- I present my favorite nonfiction films of 2014
- With 'Life Itself,' Steve James Has Earned the Right to Oscar
He's already been robbed of one. After decades of making documentaries, Steve James has earned the right to be recognized with an Oscar.
- Tabitha Jackson Shifts Sundance Institute's Documentary Focus Towards Aesthetics
Doc Soup Man talks with Sundance Institute's documentary program director, Tabitha Jackson, who says she wants make sure "that the doors are opened more widely" for artistic expression in documentary filmmaking.
- The Must-See Documentaries at This Year's DOC NYC Festival
Doc Soup Man picks his top four documentaries for this year's festival.
- The Doc TV to Watch this Veterans Day: Dogs of War
The new A&E reality show Dogs of War captures the healing effects shelter dogs have on war vets suffering from PTSD.