- Celebrate The New Doc Vague!
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston elaborates on the idea of "The New Doc Vague" and invites filmmaker Sean Dunne of Oxyana to address criticisms of the film.
- And Now A Word NOT From Our Sponsors
Tom Roston wonders if a sponsor-love scene in HBO Documentaries' The Crash Reel qualifies as product placement, and goes to filmmaker Lucy Walker to investigate.
- Beware The New Doc Vague
Doc Soup Man labels "The New Doc Vague" to a recent movement of documentary films that heavily rely on impressionistic representations of life.
- And Now for Something Completely Different…
DocSoup Man raises questions about why Morgan Spurlock, director of Super Size Me, is directing One Direction: This is Us.
- Homegoings: A Documentary About Living With Death
Tom Roston reviews documentaries that deal with the issue of death. Homegoings, about an African-American funeral home in Harlem, will air tonight on PBS at 10 PM ET.
- In Search of Balance for the Pro-Nuclear-Energy Doc “Pandora's Promise”
Robert Stone's documentary Pandora's Promise shows one side of the energy debate. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston talks with author-journalist Mark Hertsgaard for some context.
- Netflix Streaming Deals for Documentary Filmmakers — Some Numbers
How much do you think a documentary filmmaker earns for a film streaming on Netflix?
- Two Documentaries You Might Never See (Because the Directors Won't Change Their Titles)
Michal Marczak and Amit Virmani made two of the best documentaries Tom Roston has seen this year. Never heard of them? It might be because of their titles.
- “Stuck” and Why We Shouldn't Discount Documentaries Used Primarily as Tools for Change
Tom Roston questions why documentaries held in high regard have to be about "storytelling" and "cinema."
- Doc Soup: 'Stories We Tell' Heads to Theaters
Tom Roston reflects on Sarah Polley's 'Stories We Tell' after a first weekend of box office success.
- Seven Reasons to Love Hot Docs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston reveals his favorite aspects of the 2013 Hot Docs Documentary Festival in Toronto, Canada.
- Hot Docs 2013: “Caucus”
Tom Roston gives his review of "Caucus," a documentary premiered at Hot Docs this year which follows the 2012 Republican campaign trail through Iowa.
- A Call for Documentary Critics
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says film criticism is in decline just as documentary is reaching new heights in popularity. Where are the critics who can recognize what's great -- and what's not -- in a documentary?
- Hot Docs 2013: Preview
Doc Soup Man gives a preview of the documentaries that are on his must see list as he heads to Hot Docs this week.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2013: “Big Men” and “Flex is Kings”
Tom Roston reviews documentaries "Big Men" and "Flex is Kings" at the Tribeca Film Festival (April 17-28, 2013).
- Tribeca Film Festival 2013: Documentary Preview
Tom Roston highlights 13 documentaries to look out for at the nonfiction onslaught that is the Tribeca Film Festival (April 17-28, 2013).
- “Tell Me Something” Features Advice From Fifty of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Doc Soup Man interviews Jessica Edwards, editor of "Tell me Something," an in-progress photography and creative advice book from fifty of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- The Two Guccis of Tribeca 2013
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston contemplates conflicts of interest in festival funding after learning that the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival will be screening "The Director," a documentary with a subject who is also a sponsor.