When Chris Hegedus and D A Pennebaker (The War Room, Startup.com and Dont Look Back) turn their sights on the competition for the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France, the country’s Nobel Prize for pastry, you’re in for a treat. In Kings of Pastry, 16 chefs, including Jacquy Pfeiffer, co-founder of Chicago’s French Pastry School, whip up the most gorgeous, delectable, gravity-defying concoctions and edge-of-your-seat drama as they deliver their spun-sugar desserts to the display table. The inevitable disasters and successes prove both poignant and hilarious.
Once you’ve witnessed the high drama of the mother of all pastrymaking competitions, the film experience continues at POV’s website:
- Join a live chat with the filmmakers and Chef Jacquy Pfeiffer on Wednesday, June 22, 2011, at 2 PM ET.
- Watch the film again for a limited time on POV’s website starting Wednesday, June 22, 2011, then go behind the lens with an exclusive extended interview with the filmmakers.
- Add your own “King or Queen of Pastry” to our map of favorite local pastry chefs and bakeries or explore an interactive map of chefs who’ve earned the prestigious MOF title. (They’re not just in France! — Some MOFs have boutiques that have fanned out across the United States, in New York‚ Las Vegas and Chicago, to name a few.)
- Read more about the filmmakers and the chefs featured in the film.
- Dacquoise? Ganache? Our pastry glossary offers you mouth–watering definitions!
- There’s more at POV’s companion site for Kings of Pastry.
And come back to POV’s website at 10 AM ET on Wednesday, June 22, 2011, for a chance to enter a giveaway contest for cool Kings of Pastry prizes!