Biblioburro is the story of a librarian — and a library — like no other. A decade ago, Colombian grade-school teacher Luis Soriano was inspired to spend his weekends bringing a modest collection of precious books, via two hard-working donkeys, to the children of Magdalena Province’s poor and violence-ridden interior. As Soriano braves armed bands, drug traffickers, snakes and heat, his library on hooves carries an inspirational message about education and a better future for Colombia. His simple yet extraordinary effort has attracted worldwide attention — and imitators — but his story has never been better told than in this heartwarming yet unsentimental film.
After watching the film on POV, visit the Biblioburro film companion site for interactive features about the film and bookmobiles.
- Watch the complete film Biblioburro on POV’s Biblioburro companion site starting Wednesday, July 20, 2011.
- Visit donkey, mule and camel libraries around the world, and view a map of mobile libraries across the United States contributed by POV viewers.
- Watch video interviews with Luis Soriano since Biblioburro was completed, including a piece on the CNN Heroes series that highlighted Soriano’s work.
- Examine a interactive map of literacy rates in Colombia and other countries.
- Take action by donating books or supporting literacy campaigns near you.
- Visit the POV Biblioburro companion site for more interactive features and a giveaway for Biblioburro prizes.