Watch the film on PBS stations this Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 10 PM. Check your local listings.
Every spring, China’s cities are plunged into chaos as 130 million migrant workers journey to their home villages for the New Year in the world’s largest human migration. Last Train Home takes viewers on a heart-stopping journey with the Zhangs, a couple who left infant children behind for factory jobs 16 years ago, hoping their wages would lift their children to a better life. They return to a family growing distant and a daughter longing to leave school for unskilled work. As the Zhangs navigate their new world, Last Train Home paints a rich, human portrait of China’s rush to economic development. An EyeSteelFilm production in association with ITVS International. A co-presentation with the Center for Asian American Media. An Official Selection of the 2010 Sundance Film Festival. Winner of Best Feature-Length Documentary Award, 2009 International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam.
Visit POV’s website for video and interactive features about the film:
- Watch Last Train Home on POV’s website, for a limited time, starting Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2011, and additional video.
- Find out more about massive recurring migrations from around the world, including Chinese New Year, the Hajj and the Glastonbury music festival.
- Looking for more films like Last Train Home? Director Lixin Fan joins other filmmakers, curators and experts in sharing personal lists of essential documentary viewing about China.
- Join a live chat with director Lixin Fan on Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2011, at 1 PM ET.
- What’s happened to the Zhang family since the cameras stopped rolling? The director gives POV an update.
- Go behind the lens with an exclusive extended interview with director Lixin Fan.
- View images from the film and download POV’s poster for Last Train Home.
- Read about the Chinese New Year migration, China’s economy and its migrant workforce.
- Get a discussion guide, lesson plan, a reading list and other resources for use in the classroom.
- CONTEST: Ten lucky viewers will win
POV’s 24th season continues Tuesday nights through the broadcast of Last Train Home on September 27, concluding with a special broadcast on November 10. Keep up with the films at http://pbs.org/pov, on Twitter @povdocs or on Facebook.