POV‘s 24th season on PBS continues with the U.S. broadcast premiere of Better This World, a dramatic tale of idealism, loyalty, crime and betrayal that follows the radicalization of boyhood friends under the tutelage of revolutionary activist.
The film airs on PBS stations, Tuesday, September 6, 2011. Check your local listings.
Better This World tells the story of Bradley Crowder and David McKay, who were accused of intending to firebomb the 2008 Republican National Convention. The results: eight homemade bombs, multiple domestic terrorism charges and a high-stakes entrapment defense hinging on the actions of Brandon Darby, a controversial FBI informant. Better This World goes to the heart of the war on terror and its impact on civil liberties and political dissent in post-9/11 America. A co-production of ITVS in association with American Documentary | POV.
After watching the film, visit POV’s Better This World website for interactive features about the film:
- Watch the film before the broadcast on your iPhone or iPad with the PBS mobile app, or watch it on POV’s website starting Wednesday, September 7, 2011.
- Join us for a live chat on Wednesday, September 8, 2011 at 2 PM ET with Bradley Crowder and the filmmakers.
- Are you informed? Take the informant quiz.
- The filmmakers update POV on what’s happened since the camera’s stopped rolling.
- Find out more about the main subjects of the film through images and audio, including a recent interview with subject Bradley Crowder from StoryCorps.
- Go behind the lens with an exclusive extended interview with directors.
- Learn more about domestic terrorism and how the FBI uses informants.
- Explore a timeline of protests at the 2008 RNC.
- Get a discussion guide, lesson plan, a reading list, and other resources for use in the classroom.
- Read what viewers had to say about the film and contribute your own comments.
- Visit the POV Better This World companion site for a film prize giveaway starting Wednesday September 7, 2011.