- Community Partner Profile: 'Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawai'i
On Thursday, August 16, 2012, ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawai‘i hosted a screening of The City Dark in its planetarium. The film fascinated its members, who were introduced to the science of the dark and explored our relationship with the stars.
- Lightworks Looks to Grab a Tier of New Editors With Its PC-Based NLE
In the weeks since the non-linear editor Lightworks V11 was made available for download, the product has earned its share of likers and dislikers. Lightshare shares its plans for the product with blogger Edward J. Delaney.
- Syrian Girls Move Front and Center in the Mosque, Learning the Qur'an From a Woman's Perspective in POV's 'The Light in Her Eyes,' Thursday, July 19, 2012 on PBS
For 30 years, Houda al-Habash Has Piously Taught the Qur'an to Syrian Girls — Braving Criticism and Challenging Tradition by Charting a New Path for Muslim Women
- Awaiting the Official Release of Lightworks, a $60 PC-Based Non-Linear Editor
Has Apple's shift to Final Cut Pro X, and the dissatisfaction of a legion of editors, created a market opening for this PC-based nonlinear editing system?
- Re-Edited 'Bully' Receives PG-13 Rating In Time for Theatrical Expansion
After weeks of controversy, the MPAA has decided to give a PG-13 rating to a version of Lee Hirsch's documentary Bully that has cut some but not all profanity.
- Documentary Films? That's Entertainment!
Documentaries have started to assert that they, like their Hollywood cousins, can be more than simply 'engaging.' Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says they can be entertaining diversions too.
- Doc Roundup: Thanksgiving Edition
Thanksgiving: a time for family, food, more food and for some, football. But for those of us who aren’t interested in football but still keen to sit on the couch and watch TV while digesting our turkey, there are a number of recent food-related documentaries that are both entertaining and provocative. from Our Daily Bread […]
- PRESS RELEASE: Hasidic Women Upend Tradition by Forming An All-Female EMT Corps in ‘93QUEEN,’ Airing September 17, 2018 on POV
'93Queen,' directed by Paula Eiselt and produced by Eiselt and Heidi Reinberg, makes its national broadcast premiere on the PBS documentary series POV and pov.org on Monday, September 17 at 10 p.m.
- PRESS RELEASE: 'The War to Be Her' | A Young Female Athlete Fends Off the Taliban
In one of the most dangerous places on earth, where the Taliban maintains a substantial presence, a young woman faces obstacles to pursue a simple passion: sports.
- PRESS RELEASE: 'Brimstone & Glory' | Viktor Jakovleski’s Visually Stunning Documentary Reveals the Grandeur of Tultepec’s National Pyrotechnic Festival
Brimstone & Glory has its national broadcast and streaming debut on the PBS documentary series POV and pov.org on Monday, July 2, 2018 at 10 p.m. (check local listings).
- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: Hero / Antihero – Who Is Arthur Chu?
In the following America ReFramed UNFILTERED contribution, filmmaker Yu Gu discusses the cultural questions she wrestled with to disrupt the hero/villain framework.
- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: Finding Story Amidst Decay in Random Acts of Legacy
In the following UNFILTERED blog post, filmmaker Ali Kazimi, of Random Acts of Legacy, discusses the road to the discovery and restoration of a rare cache of vintage footage.
- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: Creating Shadow Theater Re-enactments For Finding Kukan
In the following America ReFramed UNFILTERED contribution, filmmaker Robin Lung discusses an artistic collaboration and the technique she employed to bring aspects of her subject’s story to life.
- How the 2018 Full Frame Documentary Film Festival Hits America's Nonfiction Sweet Spot
The Full Frame Documentary Film Festival is in its 21st year, and it's hitting America's nonfiction sweet spot.
- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: The Moral Crisis of Mass Incarceration – MILWAUKEE 53206
In the following America ReFramed UNFILTERED contribution, filmmaker Keith McQuirter discusses what he calls “The Moral Crisis of Mass Incarceration.”
- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: Watching the film with The Invisible Patients
In the following UNFILTERED blog post, filmmaker Patrick O’Connor reflects on his experience wrestling with creative choices and finding peace with the decisions he made on The Invisible Patients.
- The #MeToo Movement: POV Films and Resources
POV films and resources to teach about the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and assault.
- Statement in Support of 'Last Men in Aleppo'
American Documentary's statement in support of 'Last Men in Aleppo,' its filmmakers and its film subjects.