How time flies! The POV Call for Entries is now open! Films submitted to this open call will be considered for the 2013 season and beyond. The deadline for submission is Friday, June 29, 2012 — mark your calendars!
Last year, POV made two significant changes to its submission process — We did away with the â€śIn the Worksâ€ť category and introduced â€śEarly Introduction.â€ť And in a bold, â€śwhere no series has gone beforeâ€ť kind of way, we offered two options for digital delivery of your film to the Open Call.
This year POV will continue to accept digital content delivery via download-enabled links or content on flash drives. It is not required but we strongly encourage every filmmaker who can deliver digitally to do so. Why? About 1,000 entries will be considered in this submission round and digital submissions help us be more efficient. Digital submissions allows us to work with pre-screeners across the country and around the world, and enables the programming team to travel a bit lighter. Backpack with iPad? No problem! Backpack with 35 DVDs? Not so much…
If you submit a link the file MUST BE DOWNLOAD ENABLED. If you donâ€™t feel comfortable enabling download, then please send us a DVD. You can password protect or ensure the privacy of your link, but donâ€™t forget to send POV the password (look for the password field on the form).
Our updated Call For Entries Guidelines explains everything you need to know about how to submit to POV, no matter what format you choose. POV will still accept DVDs and flash drives this year for those who canâ€™t make the digital jump.
Donâ€™t send us a fancy thumb drive because it will not be returned. Additionally we cannot accept uncompressed full HD files for submission. Our digital specs are identical to DVD specs to keep the playing field (and our servers) level.
We are excited to see what filmmakers from around the world have been working on! The full Call For Entries cycle at POV begins with the June deadline and lasts about five months — thanks in advance for your patience!
Have questions? Please send an email to cfe[at]pov.org and thanks, as always, for your interest in POV.
If you want better idea of whether the film youâ€™ve made is a good fit for POV and to learn more about what POV looks for in a film during our selection process, check out our blog post, “For Filmmakers: What Does POV Look For in a Film?”. If youâ€™re not sure if you should submit, drop us a line at cfe[at]pov.org or call 212-989-8121 x380.
For specific tips on how to navigate our online form, read on…
- Standard: Finished films, or films that are at rough/fine cut stage. (Will be ready for broadcast in 2013.)
- Shorts: Finished films, or films that are at rough/fine cut stage AND whose final running time is 30 minutes or less. (Will be ready for broadcast in 2013.)
- Completion Funds: Films that are at assembly/rough/fine cut stage AND are seeking completion funds. (May or may not be ready for broadcast in 2013.)
- Early Introduction: This category is exclusively for projects that are either too early in development or production to be considered in POVâ€™s highly competitive selection process. If you plan on submitting to our open call in the future but would like to introduce your project to POVâ€™s programming team now, this is the way to do it.
If youâ€™re ready to begin your application please visit http://cfe.pov.org, read the guidelines, then follow the instructions to complete the entry form.
Here is a quick primer on how to use the online POV submission form:
- Add cfe[at]pov.org to your email address book so that none of our correspondence to you is lost in a spam folder.
- Make sure your browser will accept pop-up windows, and visit http://cfe.pov.org.
- Click either of the two â€śRegisterâ€ť links (at the top and middle of the page) and complete the registration page.
- Check your email for your registration confirmation. The confirmation email will usually arrive instantly, but may take up to 24 hours. Check your spam folder as well.
- Click on the link within the confirmation email to activate your account. This is an obvious, but important step.
- Once youâ€™ve activated your account, log in at http://cfe.pov.org to complete your application. Enter your filmâ€™s title and click the button that says â€śCreate New Call for Entries form.â€ť
- And thatâ€™s it! Youâ€™ve started a new entry! The rest of the form is pretty self-explanatory.
All films must be submitted through our online submission system. The arrival deadline is June 29, 2012. We grant extensions on a case-by-case basis. If you need an extension please email cfe[at]pov[dot]org with the subject line â€śExtension.â€ť
POV (a cinema term for “point of view”) is television’s longest-running showcase for independent non-fiction films. POV premieres 14-16 of the best, boldest and most innovative programs every year on PBS. Since 1988, POV has presented over 300 films to public television audiences across the country. POV films are known for their intimacy, their unforgettable storytelling and their timeliness, putting a human face on contemporary social issues.