Those of you who aren’t too worried about the impact that undercover officers have on free speech should watch Better This World.” – Christopher Robbins, Gothamist
POV‘s 25th season of independent nonfiction on PBS continues with the documentary Better This World, a dramatic tale of idealism, loyalty, crime and betrayal that follows the radicalization of boyhood friends under the tutelage of revolutionary activist.
Watch it on PBS stations Thursday, August 30, 2012. Check your local listings »
Better This World (Best Documentary, 2012 Gotham Awards) tells the story of Bradley Crowder and David McKay, who were accused of intending to firebomb the 2008 Republican National Convention. The results: eight homemade bombs, multiple domestic terrorism charges and a high-stakes entrapment defense hinging on the actions of Brandon Darby, a controversial FBI informant. Better This World goes to the heart of the war on terror and its impact on civil liberties and political dissent in post-9/11 America.
After watching the film, visit POV’s Better This World website for interactive features about the film:
- Find out more about Bradley, David and Brandon and what’s happened to them since the camera’s stopped rolling.
- Are you informed? Learn more about how the FBI uses informants then take the informant quiz.
- Go behind the lens with an exclusive extended interview with the directors.
- Explore a timeline of protests at the 2008 RNC.
- Get a discussion guide, lesson plan, a reading list, and other resources for use in the classroom.
- Read what viewers had to say about the film and contribute your own comments.
Did you know? Many POV films are available free to stream online and on your mobile devices. Visit POV’s Watch Video page or download the PBS mobile app for iPhone or iPad, and see which films are available today!
POV’s 25th season on PBS continues Thursday nights through October.