Find out more about past and upcoming POV films!
Did you know? Many POV films are available free to stream online and on mobile devices. Visit POV’s Watch Video page or download the PBS mobile app for iPhone or iPad, and see which films are available today!
- Writing The WGA Doc Screenplay Winner 'Better This World' Katie Galloway and Kelly Duane de la Vega, who won the WGA Best Documentary Screenplay award for Better This World earlier this year, explain what it means to "write" a doc.
- Next on POV: 'Better This World' Watch a documentary about two friends accused of intending to firebomb the Republican National Convention that goes to the heart of the war on terror in post-9/11 America. Broadcast Date: Thursday, August 30, 2012, on POV.
- New Barriers to Voting and the Legacy of the Foot Soldiers of the Civil Rights Movement How much has changed since President Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law?
- Next on POV: 'Presumed Guilty' Watch the Emmy Award-winning documentary about a man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time by first-time filmmakers who turned into "lawyers with cameras." Presumed Guilty airs Thursday, August 23, 2012, on PBS.
- Give Up Tomorrow at The Brooklyn Museum 8/23 Join us Thursday at The Brooklyn Museum for the Brooklyn premiere of Give Up Tomorrow with filmmakers Michael Collins and Marty Syjuco and editor Eric Daniel Metzger in attendance for a Q&A after the screening.
- Upcoming POV Documentary Screenings As we make our way through August, community partners across the country continue to host public screenings of POV premieres, encores and films from the archive. Here are some of their upcoming events.
- Next on POV: 'Steam of Life' POV's 25th season continues with an encore of the moving Finnish film framed by a national obsession with the sauna. Steam of Life airs Thursday, August 16, 2012, on PBS.
- 'The Barber of Birmingham' in Yonkers, New York On July 5, 2012, the Yonkers Community Action Program hosted a pre-broadcast screening of The Barber of Birmingham at the Yonkers Riverfront Library.
- Immigration Issues in Documentaries: A Twitter Chat with Theo Rigby, Director of 'Sin País' Join the #docchat Twitter chat on Tuesday, August 21, 2012, at 8 PM Eastern. The director of Sin País will answer questions about immigration issues in documentaries.
- POV Hackathon: Five Documentary Prototypes From a Weekend of Hacking View the prototypes from POV Hackathon: Participate in an online debate with film characters, browse a documentary cookbook, find new meaning in numbers from news headlines, be moved by audio storytelling powered by live news and events, and explore the multimedia branches of a film from 1984.
- POV Hackathon: Day Two: From Proposal to Prototype For Day Two of the POV Hackathon, reinventing the documentary for the web meant embracing a "minimum viable product" strategy in time for a 7 PM screening.
- POV Hackathon: Day One: Five Approaches to the Web Documentary from Hackathon Participants Observations from Day One of the POV Hackathon.
- The POV Hackathon Has Begun! You know the projects, now meet the teams. The POV Hackathon is upon us, and we'd like to introduce to the members of the five teams. Five teams of filmmakers and developers will be converging in Brooklyn starting today to "re-invent the documentary for the web."
- Animating Documentaries: A Twitter Chat with Mike Rauch of StoryCorps Animated Shorts Join the #docchat Twitter chat on Tuesday, August 14, 2012, at 8 PM Eastern. One of the directors of StoryCorps Shorts will answer questions about documentaries and animation.
- Daniel Wolff on Tour: More than a Story about New Orleans Meet I’m Carolyn Parker Producer Daniel Wolff in-person during a nine-city book and screening tour beginning on Thursday, August 16, 2012, in New Orleans and ending in Woodstock, NY, on October 13, 2012.
- Next on POV: POV Short Cuts The popular POV Short Cuts collection of short documentaries is back! Premieres Thursday, August 9, 2012 on PBS stations, or watch them online.
- POV Hackathon: Know Your Hackers, “StoryCorps Audio Slideshows” The StoryCorps project team at the POV Hackathon is using the award-winning StoryCorps oral history project as its source material.
- POV Hackathon: Know Your Hackers, “Living Los Sures” Living Los Sures examines the hardscrabble past and hidden histories of New York City's now trendy Williamsburg neighborhood.