- Doc Memo: 10th Anniversary of 'An Inconvenient Truth', Banned Doc Wins Big
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Doc Apocalypse? Michael Moore and Documentary Box Office Success
Tom Roston sits down with Michael Moore to talk Oscars and documentary box office success.
- March (of the Docs) Madness 2015
Legends, stirring storylines and passionate fans are a few of the commonalities between college basketball and documentary filmmaking. 32 documentary symbols go head to head in our March Madness tournament. Vote now!
- The 10 Most Patriotic American Documentaries
On the Fourth of July, most of us, myself included, get so caught up in the food and party planning that we tend to forget that it's a day to pay tribute to our country.
- Documentary Filmmakers: You Call That A Trailer?
What's the deal with documentary trailers? Tom Roston considers some of the best and most disappointing doc trailers he's seen and wonders if they're a marketing tool finally on the upswing in the documentary world.
- “Stuck” and Why We Shouldn't Discount Documentaries Used Primarily as Tools for Change
Tom Roston questions why documentaries held in high regard have to be about "storytelling" and "cinema."
- What Are Your Top Weather Documentaries?
With Hurricane Sandy keeping people in the Northeast shuttered in, Tom Roston contemplates his top list of weather-related documentaries.
- Four Independent-Minded Docs for Independence Day
What’s more patriotic than waving a flag and drinking a Bud? How about baring witness to the struggles of Americans that have made this nation great?
- Brown Bears Are Good at Making Documentaries (But Are They The Best?)
Proud Brown University alumnus Doc Soup Man Tom Roston thinks his alma mater has outdone all others in producing great documentary filmmakers.
- Seven Mothers from Seven Mother's Day Documentaries
In time for Mother's Day, Tom Roston presents a list of documentaries that celebrate motherhood in all its forms.
- Oscar 2012: Predicting the Documentary Winners
Who will win? Doc Soup Man has picked it for four years running. But this year, he says, is one of the closest races in years.
- The 2011 Documentary Oscars: My Shortlist
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes an entirely different list of 15 films that could have just as easily been deemed Oscar-worthy.
- 5 Things to Consider Before You See '50 Documentaries To See Before You Die'
Independent journalist Tom Roston rates Current TV's new documentary series, hosted by Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me). Warning: This post contains minor series spoilers!