- Doc Memo: Webby Award Winners Announced, Tribeca Film Festival Recap
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- When Commercials and Political Propaganda Become Indistinguishable
A handful of new (non-political) commercials are finding their way into that ugly area between fact, fiction and advocacy in this election season.
- “2016: Obama's America”: The Most Offensively Funny Movie of the Year
Doc Soup Man Tom Rostron recently saw Dinesh D’Souza’s film, 2016: Obama's America, an unintentionally hilarious denunciation of President Barack Obama.
- Obama Enters the 2012 Election with 'The Road We've Traveled,' a Documentary by Davis Guggenheim
Election-year ads are often naïve and clumsy, dogmatic and jingoistic. David Guggenheim’s 17-minute The Road We've Traveled, created for President Obama's re-election campaign, is quite a different animal.
- Video Slideshow: Presidential Documentaries Released in Election Years
View video from some of the most influential and controversial documentaries released in the midst of U.S. presidential campaigns.
- Doc Soup: “By the People” vs. “The War Room”
Hey, have you had a chance to catch By the People, the HBO documentary about Barack Obama‘s presidential campaign that began airing this month? Yeah, me too. Did you shed some tears? Uh-huh. Did you marvel at the momentousness of that time? Yep. And isn’t it fantastic to have that all on record, so we […]
- An Update to “Street Fight”
There’s a lot going on New Jersey these days: a heated race for governor, a money laundering and public corruption scandal that saw the arrest of 44 people in July, and a bumper crop of cranberries. The city of Newark, N.J., is also back in the spotlight as the focus of a new Sundance Channel […]
- Inauguration '09: I Was There. And So Were You.
POV interactive director Theresa Riley was in Washington D.C. last week for the presidential inauguration. She tells us about watching — and documenting — the inauguration from the ground. A few days after the election in November, Thursday the 6th to be precise, I called up my congresswoman’s D.C. office and asked to be put […]