- Doc Memo: Lack of Best Picture Noms for Docs, IDA's Getting Real 2016 Recap
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the winner will be…
Tom Roston considers this year's Best Documentary Oscar contenders with his tried-and-true method for predicting which film will win.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2014
Without any throat clearing about how this was yet another great year for docs -- which it was, by the way -- I present my favorite nonfiction films of 2014
- When Will the Women of the Documentary World Get Their Due?
Of the Oscar-nominated documentaries this year, only one is directed by a woman (Jehane Noujaim, of The Square).
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2013
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! These films pushed the boundaries of the form and helped take documentary storytelling to a whole new level.
- Oscar 2013: Can Anything Overtake Sugar Man?
It’s as close to a lock on the Oscar winner as we’ve had in years. Everyone else is saying that 'Searching for Sugar Man' will win, so, just for the sake of keeping things lively, Tom Roston gives the race a second thought.
- Emmy 2012: Watch the Award-Winning POV Films – Free!
Looking to watch some of the best documentaries from the past year? For a limited time, we're streaming the four documentaries that won 2012 Emmy Awards, including Best Documentary Last Train Home.
- Emmy 2012: Watch Best Documentary Emmy Nominee 'Last Train Home'
Last Train Home takes viewers on a heart-stopping journey with the Zhangs, a couple who left infant children behind for factory jobs 16 years ago, hoping their wages would lift their children to a better life. Watch now!
- Oscar 2012: Predicting the Documentary Winners
Who will win? Doc Soup Man has picked it for four years running. But this year, he says, is one of the closest races in years.