- Doc Memo: 10 + 10: Documentaries of Impact and Photography
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Doc Apocalypse? Michael Moore and Documentary Box Office Success
Tom Roston sits down with Michael Moore to talk Oscars and documentary box office success.
- The Infamous Oscar Speech Heard Around the World
"I’m not saying we owe Michael Moore an apology for the way he was derided for his speech after winning the Academy Award 10 years ago, but I think we can at least acknowledge that he was right."
- Turning to Documentaries After Tragedy
"Some might turn to religion in such situations. I turn to the arts. I want to call up a documentary that can speak to the spirit of loss, grief and, yes, hope for redemption."
- The 25 “Greatest” Documentaries of All Time
We asked fans of POV to help us find the "greatest" documentaries of all time, and this is what we found...
- 'More Than A Month' Channels Moore, Spurlock and Woody Allen in Journey to End Black History Month
Edward J. Delaney talks to director Shukree Tilghman about his tongue-in-cheek cross-country campaign (and documentary) to end Black History Month.
- The United States of Documentaries (Map)
A state-by-state breakdown of the best, most representative and most unique documentaries from the 50 states and Washington, D.C.
- Doc Soup: The 10 Most Unforgettable Moments in Documentary History
Independent journalist Tom Roston checks in with a list of moments that remind us why we love documentaries. What would top your list?
- The Elusive 'General' Audience
In a second post in a series on finding an audience for your documentary, Edward J. Delaney looks at how an emphasis on your film's storyline can help you grow your audience beyond a small core of fans.
- Doc Soup: The 10 Greatest Moments in Documentary Film, Part 1
It’s been a while since I’ve done a list (see my 10 most lugubrious docs and the 10 sexiest) — and as an unabashed advocate of the genre, here’s another. What makes for a great moment in a documentary? That can sometimes be a complicated issue, because some of the “greatest” moments are also the […]