- The Detroit Graduates: Watch the Documentary & Go Behind the Story with The New York Times
Kassie Bracken discusses The Detroit Graduates, a six part documentary following five high school seniors graduating from Denby High School in Detroit in 2013, the year the city declared bankruptcy.
- Take Care, Mr. Elson: Watch the Documentary & Go Behind the Story with Journalists from The New York Times
Emma Cott and Abby Goodnough discuss reporting on the effects of the Affordable Care Act on one chronically ill man in Louisville, Kentucky, and what his story says about the United States healthcare system in 2015.
- The Men of Atalissa: Watch the Documentary & Go Behind the Story with Journalists from The New York Times
Kassie Bracken and Dan Barry tell POV the story behind the story of a group of men with intellectual disability who, for decades, were exploited by a turkey-processing company.
- Five Insights on Hacking Films from the Software Developers Who've Done It
Before the POV Hackathon got underway, mentors and veteran engineers shared with the teams some advice born of experience. Here's what they were told...
- Help! How Do I Hire a Transmedia Designer/Developer?
I am reaching out to you, my fellow documentarians and multi-platform producers, to share your wisdom on finding and hiring transmedia collaborators.
- Doc Soup: Subject as Collaborator in “The Betrayal”
What if Robert Flaherty had given the Inuit named Allakariallak a credit as co-director of Nanook of the North? Or if Davis Guggenheim shared the bill with Al Gore on An Inconvenient Truth? Would those films be regarded in a different light? We know that the collaboration between documentary filmmakers and their subjects is what […]
- Doc Soup: The Music of Pulling John, Part 2
Last week, Tom interviewed Gary Meister, the composer behind the soundtrack for Pulling John, a film that opened at SXSW over the weekend. This week, he talks to one of the film’s directors, Vassiliki Khonsari, about the vision behind the soundtrack and the collaborative process. What kind of music did you want for the film? […]
- Helene Klodawsky's Malls R Us
POV alum Helene Klodawsky has been busy at work since her film, No More Tears Sister aired on POV in 2006. Her fascinating new film, Malls R Us, screens at MoMA next week as part of the museum’s Canadian Front 2009 program. We asked her to answer a few questions about the film and about […]
- Doc Soup: The Music of Pulling John, Part 1
The SXSW festival kicks off on Friday, March 13, with a slate of interesting docs. I figured this would be a good occasion to start a regular feature on Doc Soup where I highlight what the various behind-the-camera people “do” on a documentary. It ain’t always about the director, as we all know. This week, […]