- Doc Memo: Six Decades of Filmmaking with Legendary Director Pennebaker, Europe's Strict Rules on Streaming
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Doc Soup's Most Anticipated Sundance Documentaries
From 'Weiner' to 'Jim,' these are the docs that we'll be hearing about all year.
- Documentary Community Gathers at 2015 Cinema Eye Honors
If there is ever a question whether or not there's an actual community of documentary filmmakers, the first bit of evidence should be the Cinema Eye Honors.
- Predicting the Oscars' Best Documentary Nominees
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston predicts this year's Oscar nominations for Best Documentary. He's been on target before... will he get it right again?
- 'Kings of Pastry' Now Available for Streaming on POV
Sunday December 9 is National Pastry Day and what better way to celebrate than by sitting down with some scrumptious sweets and watching 'Kings of Pastry,' which is now available for streaming at POV!
- POV Announces Documentary Lineup for Its 25th Season on PBS
This year on POV, you'll see remarkable individuals challenging authority and their own limitations to indict a dictator, keep investigative journalism alive, rebuild after Katrina and find strength in love.
- Documentary Year in Review Countdown #8: Cinéma Vérité Pioneer Richard “Ricky” Leacock Dies
POV is counting down the top documentary stories of 2011 on New Year's Eve 2012.
- Doc Soup: The 10 Most Unforgettable Moments in Documentary History
Independent journalist Tom Roston checks in with a list of moments that remind us why we love documentaries. What would top your list?
- Doc Soup: Reviewing Docs from the Past: A Look Back at 'Dont Look Back'
Bob Dylan in the iconic Subterranean Homesick Bluesmusic video from D A Pennebaker’s Dont Look Back Dont Look Back is as ironic a title as I could hope for in my series in which I look back at classic documentaries. (It’s been a while since the first one.) But I’ve had rockumentaries — an all-encompassing […]
- Doc Soup: 'Kings of Pastry'
They took us into the heart of the Clinton campaign (The War Room). They brought us backstage to see Bob Dylan (Don’t Look Back). And they spent sleepless nights chronicling the dot-com boom (Startup.com). Now, directors Chris Hegedus and D A Pennebaker go into the depths of . . . pastry-making! What, am I missing […]
- Full Frame 2010: April in NC = Documentaries (and Zyrtec)
I arrived in Raleigh yesterday to sunny skies, a warm breeze and a bright yellow coat of pollen on everything! Things are just starting to bloom in NYC, but in North Carolina I’ve got to get my Zyrtec on. Full Frame got off to its usual enthusiastic start yesterday, and I jumped right in with […]