- Film Anatomy: Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia
Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia is an entertaining tribute to the iconic writer Gore Vidal. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what he vows to never do again.
- Film Anatomy: Lost and Sound
Lost and Sound follows three extraordinary people as they rediscover music after deafness. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- MacArthur Foundation 2013 Documentary Open Call Approaching!
The MacArthur Foundation will be accepting proposals for documentary film production funding ONLINE for the first time. Submissions will be open from July 15 - 31, 2013. Submissions close on July 31, 2013 at 3 PM CDT.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- LEF Foundation Moving Image Fund Deadline This Friday 1/25
Calling New England Filmmakers! Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) for projects requesting production and post-production support from the LEF Foundation are due this Friday, January 25 by 5 PM EST.
- Kickstarter: Tips from Three Successful 2012 Doc Campaigns
If you're thinking about fundraising for your documentary on Kickstarter, here are some words of wisdom from three successful campaigns in 2012.
- Seed&Spark: Introducing a New Platform and Ecosystem for Independent Film
This Saturday, December 1, Seed&Spark will roll out its platform, aiming to provide a whole new ecosystem for the funding and distribution of independent films.
- May 31: Navigating Funding and Broadcast Opportunities in Public Television
Join POV and ITVS for a forum about funding and broadcast opportunities for independents in New York City on May 31, 2012.
- The Iran Job & Tips for Managing a Viral Fundraising Campaign
On Monday, a documentary about an American basketball player in Iran ended a 50-day campaign that generated $100,000 in donations at the buzzer on Kickstarter after major media hits with CNN, The Huffington Post and The Wall Street Journal. The Iran Job's Till Schauder tells Adam Schartoff how his team managed the campaign.
- Kickstarter Campaign Secrets from Record-Breaking Documentary Director Jennifer Fox
Jennifer Fox raised a record-breaking $150,000 on Kickstarter - the most raised for a finished film and the most per donor. Watch the interview with Fox to find out how she did it.
- How Much Money Does It Really Take to Make a Documentary?
In the wake of America's credit rating downgrade and a day after a 600-plus-point drop in the Dow, Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech looks at how the documentary-film economy is changing rapidly.
- Doc Soup: Foundations and Documentary Funding
Everyone has less these days. Money is disappearing. Doc distributors like ThinkFilm, Warner Independent Pictures and Paramount Vantage are vanishing. And the recession continues to roll on. In this climate, where does a doc filmmaker turn for financing? In the past, one of the best go-to resources was the diverse realm of foundations. The big […]