- Film Anatomy: Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia
Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia is an entertaining tribute to the iconic writer Gore Vidal. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what he vows to never do again.
- Film Anatomy: Lost and Sound
Lost and Sound follows three extraordinary people as they rediscover music after deafness. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- 6 Essential Tips for Using Archival Footage
Panelists at a recent Doc U event organized by the International Documentary Association weigh in on 6 things to keep in mind when working with archives.
- A Cloud Storage Collaboration Guide for Filmmakers
Cloud storage isn't just a way to back up backups of backups, it has great potential for use as a hub for your film production.
- Standard Three-Camera Interview Setup
MediaStorm provides a comprehensive look at their three-camera setup for interviews, outlining their camera, audio, and light layouts.
- Recommended Reading: Eight Fundamental Concepts of Sound for Documentary
Learn the eight fundamental concepts of sound for documentary from David Tames of http://kino-eye.com.
- A Couple Filmmaker Tips for the Pre-Interview
Katie Galloway, Director of 'Better This World,' and Scott Thurman, Director of 'The Revisionaries,' share some tips on getting the most out of interviews when the camera's not on.
- Documentary DPs Share Their Craft at DOC NYC
Tom Roston recaps the DOC NYC masterclass on cinematography with directors of photography Alan Jacobsen (Racing Dreams) and Tom Hurwitz (The Queen of Versailles). Panels continue through Thursday.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: Uncovering a Documentary Technology Trove
Some of the older filmmaking technologies in use and in storage at Kartemquin represent important markers in documentary production history.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: An Inside Look at a Corner Documentary Production Studio
This post is the first in a series about my visit to the documentary production powerhouse Kartemquin Films.
- Animating Documentaries: A Twitter Chat with Mike Rauch of StoryCorps Animated Shorts
Join the #docchat Twitter chat on Tuesday, August 14, 2012, at 8 PM Eastern. One of the directors of StoryCorps Shorts will answer questions about documentaries and animation.
- As Thoughts of George Rise Up: Judith Helfand on Long-Time Mentor George Stoney
Soon after the news of George Stoney's passing was made public, POV asked me to write a few words about him and our work together.
- Game Design and Making Docs: There's More in Common Than You Might Think
At first glance, game design — even game design with a social change mission — seems unrelated to the world of documentary work. But last week's Game for Change Festival revealed that socially-minded game designers and documentarians are grappling with many of the same issues.
- Help! How Do I Hire a Transmedia Designer/Developer?
I am reaching out to you, my fellow documentarians and multi-platform producers, to share your wisdom on finding and hiring transmedia collaborators.
- Framing and the Art of Documentary
Arguably, making art is easier when its makers have complete control over process and product. But what happens when you throw the messiness of reality into the mix?
- Cell-Phone Documentaries: Films & Tools
Apple's iPhone 4 has sparked a new industry of smartphone filmmaking.
- 2012: What's In Store for The Filmmaking 99 Percent
A look forward at the technology that will define independent documentary filmmaking in 2012.