- How the Current State of Politics Influenced DOC NYC's 2017 Programming
DOC NYC's Basil Tsiokos talks politics and programming with Doc Soup's Tom Roston.
- 'A River Below' Is Not Your Typical Environmental Documentary
Director Mark Grieco on how his new documentary 'A River Below' unfolded.
- Sam Green on Crowdfunding A Live Documentary with the Kronos Quartet
Filmmaker Sam Green on crowdfunding A Thousand Thoughts, a "live documentary" in which he will appear alongside the Kronos Quartet.
- Hot Docs 2017: Stellar Film Pitches, Riveting Screenings and Discovering Filmmakers
You can never see it all at Hot Docs, but at least you can figure out as soon as you can.
- Early Highlights from Hot Docs 2017: 'City of Ghosts,' 'Pre-Crime'
Every year, Toronto dedicates itself to documentaries for a week with Hot Docs.
- Virtual Reality at Tribeca 2017: An Experience in Progress
The tech phenomenon remains uncharted ground for nonfiction filmmakers.
- An Insider's Look at the Documentaries of Tribeca 2017
Tribeca's Director of Programming Cara Cusumano gives an inside look at festival's 2017 slate.
- Telling the Story of Mental Illness in 'God Knows Where I Am'
How Linda Bishop's story speaks to state of mental illness in the U.S.
- With Graphic Imagery, 'Cries From Syria' Calls on Audiences to See Conflict's Harsh Reality
Director Evgeny Afineevsky aims to make audiences think, re-evaluate, and learn.
- 2017 Academy Awards: The A-List Contenders for Best Feature Documentary and Best Documentary Short Subject
The stellar documentary competition for the 89th Academy Awards.
- A TV Film or a Film on TV: 'O.J. Simpson: Made in America' Puts the Divide in Doubt
Is categorizing a documentary a meaningless endeavor in the first place?
- New Anthology Showcases a New York City Not Traditionally Seen on Film
'True New York' reveals vivid, nuanced stories that are so much a part of the fabric of New York City and yet so underappreciated.
- 10 Great Docs You (and I) Should See at DOC NYC 2016
Tom Roston's 10 films you may not know about, but should.
- Word Association With DOC NYC's 2016 Lineup
A helpful, head-spinning word association guide to every 111 feature documentary at DOC NYC courtesy of Basil Tsiokos.
- 5 Filmmakers Share Their Hypothetical Post-Election Documentary
Filmmakers share one salient detail from their hypothetical post-2016 Election film.
- 'Peter and the Farm' Finds Profound Harmony Between Visuals and Storytelling
Far from a talking head, Peter Dunning is a deeply compelling protagonist.
- When Documentary Filmmakers Direct Political Ads
When documentary storytelling intersects with political advertising.
- The Spine-Tingling, Eye-Opening Thrill of Morgan Spurlock's 'Rats'
'Rats' invites viewers into a world underneath the gutters and in the shadows.