- Watching Kartemquin Films
Kartemquin Films has a strong Chicago connection, and many of its documentaries are about the city and its people in some way.
- Five POV Films to Watch This Valentine's Day
Spending a cozy night in with your loved one this Valentine's Day? Might we suggest these short docs -- all streaming right now on POV -- exploring the power of love in its many forms.
- Upcoming Event: The Documentary Filmmaker as Journalist
What are the challenges of working in both the documentary and journalism spaces? Find out at the International Documentary Association’s upcoming Doc U panel discussion.
- Announcing POV's 2015 Season on PBS
Get a sneak preview of POV's 2015 lineup and help us spread the news about the films you're looking forward to seeing most!
- Linklater, Like Flaherty Before Him
Robert Flaherty and Richard Linklater are on opposite sides of the same film can. Flaherty, whose 131st birthday would have been this Monday, February 16th, is, of course, one of the pioneers of documentary film. We’ll get to Linklater, the director from Texas who made last year’s Oscar-nominated Boyhood, in a moment, but it’s Flaherty […]
- Dressing Up the Computer's Story for an iPad App
iPad apps make for an interesting way to explore interactive documentary, and The Computer Wore Heels offers an engaging story about women's contributions during World War II.
- Independent Film on PBS: The National Listening Tour Comes to New York City
The next stop of the Independent Film on PBS: The National Listening Tour will be in New York City on February 23, 2015. Save the date and RSVP!
- How to Experience Virtual Reality for Under $50
Virtual reality isn't just for the rich. We break down low-cost alternatives to Oculus Rift and similar devices that could bring VR to us all.
- Upcoming Events
This week, communities across the country commemorate Black History Month with screenings celebrating the life of civil rights leaders and engaging in critical dialogue about contemporary social issues.
- Report Back: 'The Genius of Marian' on Capitol Hill
On Monday, The Genius of Marian screened on Capitol Hill. Actor and activist David Hyde Pierce, Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), and Devon White Angelini, featured in the film, spoke at the event. Read more about the screening and discussion.
- Listening Tour Kicks Off in San Francisco: A Report
A report back from "Independent Film on PBS: A National Listening Tour" in partnership with ITVS, POV, Independent Lens, and WNET from San Francisco. The next event will be on February 23, 2015 in New York City.
- Teaching Op-Docs
In teaching a junior-level news and reporting course this semester, I have decided to use The New York Times's Op-Docs as a production model for thinking about news within online journalism.
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Using Virtual Reality for Data Visualization
Virtual reality provides a new way to create immersive experiences based on data. View the demo (Oculus Rift optional) and download the source code.
- Documentary Streaming Free for MLK Day: 'Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin'
Long before Martin Luther King Jr. became a national figure, Bayard Rustin routinely put himself on the line as a crusader for racial justice. But he was also seen as a political liability because he was gay.
- Meet the Programmers Behind the Flaherty NYC Winter/Spring 2015 Series
This season's Flaherty NYC's series begins in January with the theme "That Obscure Object of Desire." Programmers Pacho Velez and Sierra Pettengill discuss choosing films that explore "the mysterious power of objects."
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees are…
Doc Soup Man reflects on his Oscar nomination predictions -- after finding out he got only 60 percent right -- and checks in with two nominated filmmakers.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees will be…
Doc Soup Man is not one to shy away from predictions. His thoughts on which documentaries will be nominated for the Oscars in 2015.
- POV Among New Fledgling Fund Grantees
POV is thrilled to be a part of an inspiring class of new Fledgling Fund grantees.