- PBS Listening Tour Surveys Offer Road Map
It wasn’t possible for everyone’s voice to be heard at the New York Listening Tour stop on February 23rd. To take advantage of this moment to hear from our community, we conducted two surveys around the New York Listening Tour stop.
- Upcoming Events
This week, Las Vegas gathers to discuss criminal justice with 15 to Life, while St. Peters follows the journey of a young Danish dancer pursuing his dreams in Dance For Me.
- Teaching Op-Docs: Finding Ideas for Documentaries
"Where do you get ideas for documentaries?" is the number one question I have received through comments and conversations over the years. Here are some starting points to consider.
- The Babel Project Connects Youth and Filmmaking
As many return to the second half of the school year, educational organization, The Babel Project and Global Kids are working together to bring documentary filmmaking into New York City schools.
- PBS Listening Tour Comes to New York City: A Report
PBS, ITVS, POV, Independent Lens, Indie Caucus and WNET hosted a full house on the Independent Film on PBS Listening Tour in New York City on February 23, 2015.
- Teaching Op-Docs: Women's Stories and Issues
A handful of the shorts appearing in the Op-Docs series focuses specifically on women and their stories, and this post offers a round-up of some of those stories.
- Oscar 2015: What the Documentary Winners Said (Or Didn't)
The documentary community breathed a deep sigh of relief last night when Laura Poitras won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature, but her speech was a missed opportunity.
- Upcoming Events
This week, eight screenings in cities across the country use film to foster dialogue and enhance awareness on a range of social issues.
- How Anyone Can Create A Virtual Reality Experience With One Line of Code
With this new open-source tool from POV, you can create virtual panoramas and objects in 3D. Follow the examples to add media and interactivity to your virtual stage.
- Announcing POV Hackathon 8 (April 4-5, 2015 in New York City)
What could you make in a weekend? Applications are now open for the next POV Hackathon lab. Apply by March 6, 2015.
- Watching Kartemquin Films
Kartemquin Films has a strong Chicago connection, and many of its documentaries are about the city and its people in some way.
- Five POV Films to Watch This Valentine's Day
Spending a cozy night in with your loved one this Valentine's Day? Might we suggest these short docs -- all streaming right now on POV -- exploring the power of love in its many forms.
- Upcoming Event: The Documentary Filmmaker as Journalist
What are the challenges of working in both the documentary and journalism spaces? Find out at the International Documentary Association’s upcoming Doc U panel discussion.
- Announcing POV's 2015 Season on PBS
Get a sneak preview of POV's 2015 lineup and help us spread the news about the films you're looking forward to seeing most!
- Linklater, Like Flaherty Before Him
Robert Flaherty and Richard Linklater are on opposite sides of the same film can. Flaherty, whose 131st birthday would have been this Monday, February 16th, is, of course, one of the pioneers of documentary film. We’ll get to Linklater, the director from Texas who made last year’s Oscar-nominated Boyhood, in a moment, but it’s Flaherty […]
- Dressing Up the Computer's Story for an iPad App
iPad apps make for an interesting way to explore interactive documentary, and The Computer Wore Heels offers an engaging story about women's contributions during World War II.
- Independent Film on PBS: The National Listening Tour Comes to New York City
The next stop of the Independent Film on PBS: The National Listening Tour will be in New York City on February 23, 2015. Save the date and RSVP!
- How to Experience Virtual Reality for Under $50
Virtual reality isn't just for the rich. We break down low-cost alternatives to Oculus Rift and similar devices that could bring VR to us all.