- A Preview of Hot Docs 2015
The Hot Docs film festival in Toronto, which kicks off today, is the paradise where good documentary lovers go to die.
- Teaching Op-Docs: Sound and Observation in Hotel 22
Elizabeth Lo's short film (and New York Times Op-Doc) Hotel 22 became the focus for a session about sound in documentary.
- 5 New Questions for the Coming Age of Digital Storytelling (With Answers from the Digital Vanguards at TFI Interactive Day)
Liz Nord reports from the Tribeca Film Institute's third annual Interactive Day.
- 5 Questions for Anagram, Creators of Door Into The Dark
Door Into The Dark, an immersive documentary experience presented at this year's Tribeca Film Festival Storyscapes exhibition, pushes the intersection of technology and storytelling in a surprising new direction.
- Tribeca Storyscapes 2015: Experimenting with Immersive Documentaries in that Awkward Headgear Phase
Will virtual reality finally take off after decades of experimentation? Does this emerging technology have a significant place in documentary film? The creators at this year's Storyscapes seem to think so.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2015: Preview
Doc Soup Man shares the top documentary films to see at Tribeca Film Festival 2015 along with insights from Tribeca programmer, Cara Cusumano.
- Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015: A Recap
Doc Soup Man highlights films to watch out for and his favorite documentary celebrity encounters at Full Frame Documentary Festival 2015.
- POV's 2016 Call for Entries Is Now Open!
Films submitted to this open call will be considered for the 2016 broadcast season and beyond. Submit by Monday, June 15, 2015.
- How to Hack a Hackathon
POV Hackathon 8 team Hello Fat Larry share their guide to a hackathon. The team won the Participant's Choice Award at POV Hackathon 8.
- POV Hackathon 8: Explore the Prototypes and the Technology
Four teams "re-invented the documentary" at POV's latest weekend laboratory of nonfiction storytelling and technology.
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2015 Preview
Which docs to see at Full Frame? Programming director Sadie Tillery took Tom Roston behind the scenes of his picks from the 2015 lineup.
- Teaching Op-Docs: Fairness and Representation
Not all documentary characters are represented as heroes, and nor should they be.
- PBS National Listening Tour News Round-Up
After the final stop of the PBS National Listening Tour, POV offers this round-up of organizations and individuals lending their voice to the conversation.
- Upcoming Events
This week, screenings from coast to coast engage communities in conversation about a range of social issues.
- March (of the Docs) Madness 2015
Legends, stirring storylines and passionate fans are a few of the commonalities between college basketball and documentary filmmaking. 32 documentary symbols go head to head in our March Madness tournament. Vote now!
- Upcoming Events
March is Women's History Month. Spark discussion concerning women's rights and celebrate the lives of strong female role models by hosting a film event in your community!
- Teaching Op-Docs: The Role of B-Roll
As a viewer, I pay too much attention to B-roll. One reason is that B-roll is often intercut with interviews, and it changes the dynamics of movement within the frame.
- Enter the Edit: A Conversation With Editor Jonathan Oppenheim
Colin Nusbaum speaks with his Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow mentor, esteemed editor Jonathan Oppenheim, about his editing process.