- Listening Tour Kicks Off in San Francisco: A Report
A report back from "Independent Film on PBS: A National Listening Tour" in partnership with ITVS, POV, Independent Lens, and WNET from San Francisco. The next event will be on February 23, 2015 in New York City.
- Teaching Op-Docs
In teaching a junior-level news and reporting course this semester, I have decided to use The New York Times's Op-Docs as a production model for thinking about news within online journalism.
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Using Virtual Reality for Data Visualization
Virtual reality provides a new way to create immersive experiences based on data. View the demo (Oculus Rift optional) and download the source code.
- Documentary Streaming Free for MLK Day: 'Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin'
Long before Martin Luther King Jr. became a national figure, Bayard Rustin routinely put himself on the line as a crusader for racial justice. But he was also seen as a political liability because he was gay.
- Meet the Programmers Behind the Flaherty NYC Winter/Spring 2015 Series
This season's Flaherty NYC's series begins in January with the theme "That Obscure Object of Desire." Programmers Pacho Velez and Sierra Pettengill discuss choosing films that explore "the mysterious power of objects."
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees are…
Doc Soup Man reflects on his Oscar nomination predictions -- after finding out he got only 60 percent right -- and checks in with two nominated filmmakers.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees will be…
Doc Soup Man is not one to shy away from predictions. His thoughts on which documentaries will be nominated for the Oscars in 2015.
- POV Among New Fledgling Fund Grantees
POV is thrilled to be a part of an inspiring class of new Fledgling Fund grantees.
- Documentary Community Gathers at 2015 Cinema Eye Honors
If there is ever a question whether or not there's an actual community of documentary filmmakers, the first bit of evidence should be the Cinema Eye Honors.
- In Memory of Kartemquin Films Co-Founder Jerry Blumenthal
Kartemquin Films founding member Jerry Blumenthal passed away in November. From POV's archive, watch an interview with Jerry Blumenthal and his POV documentary, Golub, which we are now streaming free.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2014
Without any throat clearing about how this was yet another great year for docs -- which it was, by the way -- I present my favorite nonfiction films of 2014
- The Best Documentaries of 2014
What's the best documentary of 2014? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- With 'Life Itself,' Steve James Has Earned the Right to Oscar
He's already been robbed of one. After decades of making documentaries, Steve James has earned the right to be recognized with an Oscar.
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Explore the Real World in Virtual Reality
Fly through any city in virtual reality through your web browser and Oculus Rift with this new tool from POV. (And build on the source code.)
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Adding a New Dimension to Archival Photography
How the team from the interactive documentary Camp Century brought static photographs to life, and how you can use the technology for your next project.
- Dispatches from IDFA: All the Young Dudes
Kel O'Neill discusses the lack of diversity at the IDFA DocLab conference, and the effect of its absence.
- Introducing a Remote Control for Virtual Reality Films (Hint: It's in Your Pocket)
Try it now! Virtual reality display technology is advancing quickly, but the way to interact with virtual worlds is lagging behind. So here's a way you can use a mobile device to navigate a virtual space.
- Strangers at Sea: Watch the Documentary and Go Behind the Scenes
Journalist Chris Museler tells POV how he navigated his role as fly on the wall in the high intensity, high stakes New York-Barcelona IMOCA Ocean Masters race onboard with professional sailors Pepe Ribes and Ryan Breymaier.