- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees are…
Doc Soup Man reflects on his Oscar nomination predictions -- after finding out he got only 60 percent right -- and checks in with two nominated filmmakers.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees will be…
Doc Soup Man is not one to shy away from predictions. His thoughts on which documentaries will be nominated for the Oscars in 2015.
- POV Among New Fledgling Fund Grantees
POV is thrilled to be a part of an inspiring class of new Fledgling Fund grantees.
- Documentary Community Gathers at 2015 Cinema Eye Honors
If there is ever a question whether or not there's an actual community of documentary filmmakers, the first bit of evidence should be the Cinema Eye Honors.
- In Memory of Kartemquin Films Co-Founder Jerry Blumenthal
Kartemquin Films founding member Jerry Blumenthal passed away in November. From POV's archive, watch an interview with Jerry Blumenthal and his POV documentary, Golub, which we are now streaming free.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2014
Without any throat clearing about how this was yet another great year for docs -- which it was, by the way -- I present my favorite nonfiction films of 2014
- The Best Documentaries of 2014
What's the best documentary of 2014? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- With 'Life Itself,' Steve James Has Earned the Right to Oscar
He's already been robbed of one. After decades of making documentaries, Steve James has earned the right to be recognized with an Oscar.
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Explore the Real World in Virtual Reality
Fly through any city in virtual reality through your web browser and Oculus Rift with this new tool from POV. (And build on the source code.)
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Adding a New Dimension to Archival Photography
How the team from the interactive documentary Camp Century brought static photographs to life, and how you can use the technology for your next project.
- Dispatches from IDFA: All the Young Dudes
Kel O'Neill discusses the lack of diversity at the IDFA DocLab conference, and the effect of its absence.
- Introducing a Remote Control for Virtual Reality Films (Hint: It's in Your Pocket)
Try it now! Virtual reality display technology is advancing quickly, but the way to interact with virtual worlds is lagging behind. So here's a way you can use a mobile device to navigate a virtual space.
- Strangers at Sea: Watch the Documentary and Go Behind the Scenes
Journalist Chris Museler tells POV how he navigated his role as fly on the wall in the high intensity, high stakes New York-Barcelona IMOCA Ocean Masters race onboard with professional sailors Pepe Ribes and Ryan Breymaier.
- Dispatches from IDFA: Research and Development
IDFA DocLab is a paradise for innovative storytelling, but who should foot the bill?
- Congrats to the BRITDOC Impact Award Winners
POV gives a huge round of applause to this year's BRITDOC Impact Award winners! The BRITDOC Impact Award celebrates documentary films that have made the greatest impact on society.
- Dispatches from IDFA: A Conversation with DocLab Architect Caspar Sonnen
Kel O'Neill (of Jongsma + O'Neill) sits down with IDFA DocLab creator Caspar Sonnen to discuss DocLab, digital storytelling, and the 'medium' of interactive documentaries — if it can be defined as a 'medium' at all.
- White Gold, Directed by Simon Trevor
White Gold is an exposé of the modern ivory trade and its pervasive economic, historical, political and environmental effects.
- Tabitha Jackson Shifts Sundance Institute's Documentary Focus Towards Aesthetics
Doc Soup Man talks with Sundance Institute's documentary program director, Tabitha Jackson, who says she wants make sure "that the doors are opened more widely" for artistic expression in documentary filmmaking.