- And the POV Hackathon 7 Participants' Choice Winner is…
Congrats to The Dandelion King, POV Hackathon 7 Participants' Choice Award Winner!
- Wednesday, December 3: A Conversation with Joshua Oppenheimer, director of “The Act of Killing”
Ask The Act of Killing director Joshua Oppenheimer your questions on Google+. Join the chat live on Wednesday, December 3, 2014, at 1 PM ET (10 AM PT).
- “Virunga” Goes to Netflix
Virunga, one of Doc Soup Man's rave docs of the year, will be available on Netflix beginning November 7, 2014. What does this mean for the film, and for Netflix's position in the doc world?
- Now Streaming: Every Mother's Son
We are thrilled to announce that Every Mother's Son is now available for community screenings and online streaming through May 3, 2015.
- We the Economy
This new online documentary series is striving to explain the economy through 20 short films.
- After Passing Up a Shot at Sundance, Documentary Filmmaker Yance Ford Receives a MacArthur
"I actually followed my own advice and didn't cut for a deadline." - Strong Island filmmaker Yance Ford
- #docchat: The Whiteness Project – Tackling the Taboo Subject of Race in America – Join on Twitter This Wednesday
Join POV for a Twitter chat with Whitney Dow, director and producer of Whiteness Project: Inside the White/Caucasian Box on Wednesday, October 22 from 1-2 PM ET/10-11 AM PT
- POV Tech: Introducing Mouse and Keyboard Interactions for Virtual Reality “Films”
Virtual reality experiences, such as those we are developing now for Oculus Rift, require a new set of conventions for interactions with familiar devices.
- “The Connection” and How Documentaries Can Be Good Medicine (Part 2)
"In the brave new Internet world, a documentary doesn't necessarily need the golden blessing of a film festival director."
- “The Connection” and How Documentaries Can Be Good Medicine (Part 1)
The Connection: Mind Your Body isn't the kind of film that wins awards at festivals or even warrants being seen in a theater, but it's a very important documentary that you need to see.
- “Audacious, horrifying, boldly experimental… breaks so many rules of documentary decorum.” – 'The Act of Killing' Is Now Streaming Free at POV
What critics have been saying about POV's documentary The Act of Killing, and all the ways you can watch it free right now.
- POV Tech: Filmmaking with Oculus Rift
With browsers now able to track the head movements of users, I've created the ability to record and play back 3D virtual reality experiences with Oculus Rift.
- POV Interactive Shorts: Q&A with Whitney Dow (“Whiteness Project”)
"I believe that if I am ever really going to understand someone else's racial experience I had to understand my own first."
- When HBO or POV Comes Calling: Defense Counsel’s Role in an Observational Documentary of a Criminal Proceeding
Imagine the ethical and strategic issues that confront a defense lawyer when a documentary filmmaker comes calling. Director of the Penn Program on Documentaries and the Law, Regina Austin, weighs the pros and cons.
- 31 Years Later, A Restored “Burroughs: The Movie” Returns to the New York Film Festival
"He was a vital part of the cultural scene." - Tom DiCillo. The 1983 documentary Burroughs: The Movie returns to the New York Film Festival on Thursday, October 9, 2014.
- This Land: Love and Independence in East Providence: Watch The New York Times Documentary
Dan Barry and Kassie Bracken introduce Lori Sousa and Peter Maxmean, a Rhode Island couple who met at a training program for workers with intellectual disabilities.
- “He is charming, infuriating and sometimes coy… but he has never been boring” – 'Koch' Is Now Streaming Free at POV
What critics have been saying about POV's documentary Koch, and all the ways you can watch it free right now.
- The State of Web Video: Awesome But Broken (Part 4)
Delivering, playing and remixing video in real time in a browser is ambitious today, so here's the reality of what you can do when the browser fails you.