- The Nipple Artist: Watch the Documentary and Go Behind the Scenes
How do breast cancer survivors recapture their sense of self after surgeries, chemotherapy and reconstruction? "The Nipple Artist" by The New York Times tells the story of one woman's journey for closure... and nipples.
- Upcoming POV Screenings
Sneak preview screenings of our 27th Season are starting around the country. Eager to join the conversation? Visit our local events calendar to browse events by zip code.
- 10 Secrets for Making the Most of Your Film's Broadcast Premiere
Picture Motion's Alexandra Pearson and Megan Ryan take us behind the scenes of the social impact campaigns of five remarkable films that aired on CNN, HBO, OWN and POV.
- POV Hackathon 6: Explore the Prototypes and the Technology
Five teams "re-invented the documentary" at POV's latest weekend laboratory of nonfiction storytelling and technology.
- Announcing the POV Hackathon 6 Participants' Choice Winner…
Congrats to The World In Ten Blocks, POV Hackathon 6 Participants' Choice Award Winner!
- Ask Your Jewish Grandmother About “The Sturgeon Queens”
Smoked fish, caviar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Mario Battali take the Jewish film festival circuit and PBS by storm with The Sturgeon Queens. Tom Roston talks to director Julie Cohen about the film.
- International Students at The New School Screen and Discuss 'Last Train Home'
In celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, POV intern Tomas Uribe and the International Student Society and Advisory board screened Last Train Home at The New School. Tomas reports back on the screening and discussion on migration and human rights.
- POV Hackathon 5: Explore the Prototypes and the Technology
Six teams "re-invented the documentary" at POV's latest weekend laboratory of nonfiction storytelling and technology.
- Parenting from Both Sides of the Camera
On a motherless, motherful Mother's Day, filmmaker Judith Helfand reflects on what she has learned on both sides of the camera from her mother Florence (of Healthy Baby Girl fame), who died this past September.
- POV Hackathon: Last Call for Volunteers!
Want a behind-the-scenes look into the creation of interactive documentaries? Volunteer for POV Hackathon 5 or 6 in New York or Los Angeles!
- Film Presence and After Tiller: An Outreach Case Study for Filmmakers
Our friends at IFP, Film Presence and the filmmakers of After Tiller treated a packed house at the Made in NY Media Center by IFP to an illuminating case study of the film’s outreach campaign and audience-building strategy.
- Top 5 Films from Hot Docs 2014
Hot Docs Film Festival 2014 concluded this weekend in Toronto, Canada. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares his favorite films from the fest.
- “Poverty Porn” and a Proposal That Could End It Once And For All
There’s potential for exploitation whenever a documentary is made. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes a new way to support the communities depicted by the filmmaker-without-a-cause.
- #docchat: Documentary Engagement Strategy: Creating a Lasting Impact on Google+ (May 6, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary engagement strategies for last impact on Google+! Tuesday, May 6, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.
- Hot Docs: Discovering 'Pine Ridge'
Allow Doc Soup Man Tom Roston to introduce you to Pine Ridge, a documentary that made an impression at Hot Docs in Toronto by first-time Swedish filmmaker Anna Eborn.
- 5 Things Documentary Filmmakers Can Learn from Game Designers
Engagement, interaction, participation, messaging and the power of play: Five takeaways for filmmakers from Games for Change at Tribeca FIlm Festival's Innovation Week.
- Film Anatomy: Every Day Is a Holiday
Fernanda Rossi dissects the making of the documentary Every Day is a Holiday by Theresa Loong. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments and what she vows to never do again.
- Hot Docs: 10 Documentaries Doc Soup Man Is Eager to See
Toronto's Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival runs April 24 to May 4, 2014.