- POV Hackathon: Last Call for Volunteers!
Want a behind-the-scenes look into the creation of interactive documentaries? Volunteer for POV Hackathon 5 or 6 in New York or Los Angeles!
- Film Presence and After Tiller: An Outreach Case Study for Filmmakers
Our friends at IFP, Film Presence and the filmmakers of After Tiller treated a packed house at the Made in NY Media Center by IFP to an illuminating case study of the film’s outreach campaign and audience-building strategy.
- Top 5 Films from Hot Docs 2014
Hot Docs Film Festival 2014 concluded this weekend in Toronto, Canada. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares his favorite films from the fest.
- “Poverty Porn” and a Proposal That Could End It Once And For All
There’s potential for exploitation whenever a documentary is made. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes a new way to support the communities depicted by the filmmaker-without-a-cause.
- #docchat: Documentary Engagement Strategy: Creating a Lasting Impact on Google+ (May 6, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary engagement strategies for last impact on Google+! Tuesday, May 6, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.
- Hot Docs: Discovering 'Pine Ridge'
Allow Doc Soup Man Tom Roston to introduce you to Pine Ridge, a documentary that made an impression at Hot Docs in Toronto by first-time Swedish filmmaker Anna Eborn.
- 5 Things Documentary Filmmakers Can Learn from Game Designers
Engagement, interaction, participation, messaging and the power of play: Five takeaways for filmmakers from Games for Change at Tribeca FIlm Festival's Innovation Week.
- Film Anatomy: Every Day Is a Holiday
Fernanda Rossi dissects the making of the documentary Every Day is a Holiday by Theresa Loong. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments and what she vows to never do again.
- Hot Docs: 10 Documentaries Doc Soup Man Is Eager to See
Toronto's Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival runs April 24 to May 4, 2014.
- 10 Tips for Successful Fundraising Demos
Viewing trailers may not render a single rule that applies to other projects or filmmakers. Yet there are some common principles that help the filmmaker think strategically about his or her choices. Here are my tips.
- A Different Kind of Fight Film: Bill Siegel's “The Trials of Muhammad Ali”
The Trials of Muhammad Ali gives a purposeful look to Ali's life outside of the ring. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston interviews director Bill Siegel about the making of the film.
- Now Accepting Submissions: POV Digital Documentaries
POV is seeking digital documentaries from independent media creators and technologists that push the boundaries of nonfiction media. Submit projects by May 30, 2014.
- POV Reimagines the Documentary – Again
Cross-posted from Knight Blog, the blog of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Since its earliest days, POV has been an exercise in bridging independent voices and the public by offering new tools and technology for storytelling and engagement.
- POV's “Girl Model” Is Nominated for a 2014 Webby Award! Help Us Win!
Vote by April 24 for the online documentary that's been called "essential viewing for adolescent girls," "a brilliant exposé of a dangerous business," and "an alarming documentary about the trafficking of Russian child models."
- Entering the Edit With Karen Schmeer Fellow Colin Nusbaum
Get started with POV's new series delving into the craft of documentary editing with 2014 Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow Colin Nusbaum.
- #docchat: A Documentary Equipment Workshop with Caleb Pike & Richard Koci Hernandez on Google+ (April 15, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary filmmaking equipment on Google+! Tuesday, April 15, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.
- #docchat: How I Made My First Documentary – Join POV's Twitter Chat on April 8
Join POV on Twitter for a #docchat with veteran documentary filmmakers and get their advice for first-time filmmakers on Tuesday, April 8, 1-2 PM ET (10-11 AM PT).
- 7 Funding Tricks from 7 Documentary Filmmakers
POV's Story Doctor Fernanda Rossi has been probing successful filmmakers about their budgets for the last few months. Here's what she's learned...