- 10 Tips for Successful Fundraising Demos
Viewing trailers may not render a single rule that applies to other projects or filmmakers. Yet there are some common principles that help the filmmaker think strategically about his or her choices. Here are my tips.
- A Different Kind of Fight Film: Bill Siegel's “The Trials of Muhammad Ali”
The Trials of Muhammad Ali gives a purposeful look to Ali's life outside of the ring. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston interviews director Bill Siegel about the making of the film.
- Now Accepting Submissions: POV Digital Documentaries
POV is seeking digital documentaries from independent media creators and technologists that push the boundaries of nonfiction media. Submit projects by May 30, 2014.
- POV Reimagines the Documentary – Again
Cross-posted from Knight Blog, the blog of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Since its earliest days, POV has been an exercise in bridging independent voices and the public by offering new tools and technology for storytelling and engagement.
- POV's “Girl Model” Is Nominated for a 2014 Webby Award! Help Us Win!
Vote by April 24 for the online documentary that's been called "essential viewing for adolescent girls," "a brilliant exposé of a dangerous business," and "an alarming documentary about the trafficking of Russian child models."
- Entering the Edit With Karen Schmeer Fellow Colin Nusbaum
Get started with POV's new series delving into the craft of documentary editing with 2014 Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow Colin Nusbaum.
- #docchat: A Documentary Equipment Workshop with Caleb Pike & Richard Koci Hernandez on Google+ (April 15, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary filmmaking equipment on Google+! Tuesday, April 15, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.
- #docchat: How I Made My First Documentary – Join POV's Twitter Chat on April 8
Join POV on Twitter for a #docchat with veteran documentary filmmakers and get their advice for first-time filmmakers on Tuesday, April 8, 1-2 PM ET (10-11 AM PT).
- 7 Funding Tricks from 7 Documentary Filmmakers
POV's Story Doctor Fernanda Rossi has been probing successful filmmakers about their budgets for the last few months. Here's what she's learned...
- Announcing POV’s 2014 Season of Documentaries (Part 2)
POV's 2014 documentaries show how art can both heal and surprise, uncover hidden histories and jog a nation's conscience. Mondays on PBS starting June 23, 2014.
- “Wild Things” Breathes New Life Into the Nature Show
Actor-turned-naturalist Dominic Monaghan tells Doc Soup Man Tom Roston why his BBC America show shouldn't be confused with reality TV.
- #docchat: Balancing Your Day Job and Your Documentary – Join POV's Twitter Chat on April 1
Join POV on Twitter for a #docchat about balancing your day job and your documentary on Tuesday, April 1 from 7-8 PM ET (4-5 PM PT).
- Documentary Filmmakers Debate One of Their Own
Filmmakers are arguing over The Act of Killing -- Is it brilliant storytelling or irresponsible filmmaking? -- but there's more going on here.
- The Men of Atalissa: Watch the Documentary & Go Behind the Story with Journalists from The New York Times
Kassie Bracken and Dan Barry tell POV the story behind the story of a group of men with intellectual disability who, for decades, were exploited by a turkey-processing company.
- What's Streaming, March 2014 Edition
Watch award-winning documentaries from POV free online this month! Including recent films you missed on TV, online-exclusive documentary shorts, and classics from POV's 27-year archive.
- PBS Indies Shorts – Now Streaming at POV
Celebrate independent films with the PBS Indies Shorts by streaming three new POV shorts.
- $1,500 for a Second of Footage? A New Site Is Connecting Marketers to Documentary Filmmakers
Dust off those old hard drives. Catch & Release wants your B-roll.
- Your Best and Worst Advice for Documentary Filmmakers
Drawing influence from the new book Tell Me Something: Documentary Filmmakers, POV blog readers offer some of their best and worst advice for documentary filmmakers.