- Teaching Op-Docs: Course Assignments
Following a semester of teaching online documentary production through the Op-Docs series, this post offers a round-up of the assignments used in the course.
- TIFF Docs: A Look at What's Coming to Toronto International Film Festival in 2015
The Toronto International Film Festival lineup is out, and Tom Roston talks to programmer Thom Powers about music docs, Michael Moore, and what festival goers can look forward to this year September.
- Next on POV: Neuland
Far from home, young migrants learn to find their place in the world with the help of a trusted teacher. 'Neuland' premieres Monday August 17 on POV.
- Justine Nagan Appointed Executive Director/Executive Producer of American Documentary | POV
Justine Nagan has been named executive director of American Documentary, Inc. (AmDoc) and executive producer of POV (Point of View), its award-winning documentary series on PBS, the AmDoc board of directors announced today.
- Upcoming Events
Visit our local events calendar for a full list of events happening across the country and join our Community Network to host a screening of your own!
- Louie Psihoyos Projects Endangered Animals on the Side of the Empire State Building, But This Could Get Even Bigger
If you looked up this weekend, you might have seen something extraordinary. On Saturday night, The Cove director Louie Psihoyos put on an event in which he and a team of collaborators projected images, some moving, of endangered species onto the Empire State Building. The creatures got their due, and, hopefully, will get a chance to be brought back from going extinct.
- Next on POV: Beats of the Antonov
Sudanese civilians facing government bombing celebrate their heritage through music. Watch "Beats of the Antonov" - Monday on PBS.
- Quest for Personal Transformation Takes Timid Biker 35,000 Miles to Libyan Revolution, Prison and Self-Recorded Stardom in POV's 'Point and Shoot,' Monday, Aug. 24, 2015 on PBS
Documentary by Two-Time Oscar® Nominee Marshall Curry Illustrates the Camera's Central Role in Documenting — and Shaping — Modern Identity and World Events
- POV's 'Neuland,' a Poignant Look at Young Migrants Trying to Make a New Life In Switzerland, Premieres Monday, Aug. 17, 2015 on PBS
Far from Home, Young Migrants Learn to Find Their Place in the World with the Help Of a Trusted Teacher
- POV's 'The Storm Makers' Provides Harrowing Inside Look at Human Trafficking In Cambodia, Airing Monday, Aug. 31, 2015 on PBS
Three Personal Stories Reflect the Dark Side of Globalization and Its Devastating Human Toll
- POV Nominated for 13 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
'After Tiller', 'American Promise,' 'Big Men' Receive Multiple Nominations, Including Best Documentary; POV Digital Receives First Nomination for an Interactive Documentary
- Next on POV: Tea Time
In an abiding ritual of friendship and survival, these now-elderly Santiago women have come together for tea and pastries -- and talk -- during an era of intense social and personal change. Director Maite Alberdi, granddaughter of one of the group members, captures their intimate, charming and poignant gatherings in Tea Time.
- Upcoming Events
This week, POV films will be screened at libraries across the country.
- “My films are not about the crimes that happened in 1965. They are about impunity today.” Joshua Oppenheimer on 'The Look of Silence' and Revisiting the Indonesian Genocide
Filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer ("The Act of Killing") tells Doc Soup Man Tom Roston about the making of his new documentary, "The Look of Silence," which begins a theatrical run this weekend.
- Next on POV: Return to Homs
Teenage goalkeeper leads ragtag group of fighters against brutal Assad regime while seeking intervention: “O World, What Are You Waiting For?” Watch "Return to Homs" - Monday on PBS.
- A Few Things to Note Before You Watch “The Look of Silence” This Weekend
"It's all fairly straight-forward. But then, suddenly, the film takes a radical turn."
- The Vanishing of the Director of 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga'
"Real life trumped the rest." Tom Roston sets out to learn why 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga' filmmaker Jessica Oreck has taken a step back from the documentary film world.
- Next on POV: Web Junkie
Web Junkie goes deep inside a military-style Beijing treatment facility, where young patients are forced to face their virtual demons. Is this the wave of the future? Watch "Web Junkie" - Monday on PBS.